Screwing into Fiberglass and gelcoat

Bozol

Seaman
I am planning on installing some benches in my Boston Whaler - is it cool to screw them right into the Gelcoat? I would rather not have to fiberglass if possible as I want to be able to remove the benches easily if needed.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Bozol

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Screwing into Fiberglass and gelcoat

depends on where you are screwing, but always seal the hole with 3m 4200. placing tape where you are drilling, and using a smaller pilot bit, then the larger bit, help cut down chipping.

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer

Chamfer the hole too before you put the screw in to keep the gelcoat from cracking and flaking.

Bozol

Seaman

dvan1901, what does 'chamfer' mean?

tashdaddy, what kind of tape should I use?

haskindm

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would be very hesitant to drill a hole in a Boston Whaler type boat. What is unique about Whalers is that they achieve their strength and flotation by having a layer of foam sandwiched between two layers of fiberglass. If you do not seal the screw hole perfectly and water gets into the foam, the boat is ruined. Not saying that it is impossible to do correctly, just that you will need to be absolutely positive that any hole is sealed absolutely completely.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

duct take, masking tape, camfer means to take the tip of a large bit, and just barely enlarge the very opening of the hole. sealing is the reason i mentioned 3m 4200.

haskindm

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also remember that you will be installing a relatively small screw into a relatively thin piece of fiberglass. Don't expect a great deal of strength. That is why cleats need backplates, to spread the load over a greater area of fiberglass.

Bigprairie1

Commander

dvan1901, what does 'chamfer' mean?

Chamfer or chamfering is to break or mitre the edge...usually at 45 degrees. This can reduce periferal hole stress and of course eliminates a 'sharp' edge.
BP:)