Engine removal help PLEASE!!!!!

dankleinman

Cadet
Hello

I have a 1989 bayliner 2152 capri and the block is leaking from where I let a friend save me the 125.00 that the local marina was going to charge me to winterize my motor . Now I have a much larger bill and problem . What I am in need of is a link to a manual on how to remove the motor from my boat and the manual for my outdrive also I need to know if I can put a regular small block block in the boat or is there somthing different about it

thans

dan kleinman

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Engine removal help PLEASE!!!!!

get a truck motor. 4 bolt main. better cam.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Well, not all truck engines are 4 bolt main.

No way on earth to even tell what he has w/ the sparse info he provided.....hell, it could be a Ford engine.

OP needs to post a lot more info (no one cares what boat brand of boat it is), like engine and drive serial numbers and brand (as in OMC, Mercruiser, etc)

And there is not a manual with blow by blow instructions for pulling the engine.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

bomar's right... hard to gues at anything without more info...

never know, could the friend have just left a drain fitting off or open, or a loose hose connection while draining the block? While I have little faith in ythe inteligence of others (or myself some days for that matter), I like to think about the easy things first... If you need to swap the engine out, scuttle the boat in the harbor or set it ablaze in your driveway that can be dealt with in due course...

also, if he's talking about a gm small block, there's no real need for a 4-bolt main... many other things are a lot more important...

dankleinman

Cadet

sorry about the lack of info I am new to this . It is a 305 GM motor and the #'s off the outdrive I will have to post tomorrow I have been out in the garage trying to get a spot cleared out thats big enough for me to pull it in there . The problem is defanatly the block is cracked I can see it when the boat is running . I had to use a mirror to look under it but it was leaking pretty fast I was hoping that it was somthing simple like a lose hose or a undone plug but no such luck . Go figure it cracked between the freeze plugs and neither one of them popped out . As for a 4 bolt main motor I was told you could not run a car cam that it would let water get into the motor on the exhaust stroke . Is this info wrong?

thanks

dan

Bondo

Staff member

sorry about the lack of info I am new to this
OP needs to post a lot more info (no one cares what boat brand of boat it is), like engine and drive serial numbers and brand (as in OMC, Mercruiser, etc)

Ayuh,.... Still not Good enough....

MikDee

Banned

sorry about the lack of info I am new to this . It is a 305 GM motor and the #'s off the outdrive I will have to post tomorrow I have been out in the garage trying to get a spot cleared out thats big enough for me to pull it in there . The problem is defanatly the block is cracked I can see it when the boat is running . I had to use a mirror to look under it but it was leaking pretty fast I was hoping that it was somthing simple like a lose hose or a undone plug but no such luck . Go figure it cracked between the freeze plugs and neither one of them popped out . As for a 4 bolt main motor I was told you could not run a car cam that it would let water get into the motor on the exhaust stroke . Is this info wrong?

thanks

dan

True, but a standard (stock) car, or truck, cam, would be fine, just if it's a perf. cam, it needs to be marine specific!

dankleinman

Cadet

Well thanks for the help I went out this morning to get a pic of the model #'s you guys needed and said **** on it I can do this . The motor is on the ground and most of the parts are now on a 350 thast came out of my old truck it ran great in the truck so I figure it will be just as good in my boat

thanks

dan

wil7483

Petty Officer 1st Class

A couple of things went wrong with this post. First the poster negligently left out information that is important for assistance here on this forum. Second, the forum members didn't take the time to try to assist the poster even with the limited info he did provided. Outcome, poster yanked his engine out without worrying about if he was doing it properly or not. Did he change the freeze plugs out on the new engine. Ensure that he changed all of automotive parts out for marine specific parts, i.e starter, alternator, carb. Is he going to have the tools necessary to reinstall and align the engine back in the back (assuming he gets that far). Will the engine run or blow up the boat due to using automotive parts in a fuel/fume rich environment. Time will tell.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

A couple of things went wrong with this post. First the poster negligently left out information that is important for assistance here on this forum. Second, the forum members didn't take the time to try to assist the poster even with the limited info he did provided. Outcome, poster yanked his engine out without worrying about if he was doing it properly or not. Did he change the freeze plugs out on the new engine. Ensure that he changed all of automotive parts out for marine specific parts, i.e starter, alternator, carb. Is he going to have the tools necessary to reinstall and align the engine back in the back (assuming he gets that far). Will the engine run or blow up the boat due to using automotive parts in a fuel/fume rich environment. Time will tell.

Some people learn by doing... Dan just moved forward and did what made a lot of sense to him. if he didn't take the outdrive off, he can do it now and pick up a mercruiser manual of some kind at his local auto parts store so he can follow the general procedure to put it back together.

If he's going to run his truck engine, it might be fine as long as he dresses it completely with the components from the marine engine... it would be much better if he put the correct (brass) freeze plugs in the block and replaced the head gaskets especially if he boats in salt water... There are a lot of car engines running around in boats.... grnted some don't last very long... He'll probably also read as he goes through posts on here that he needs to buy a tool and align the engine / drive (or take it somewhere to have them do it) once he gets everything swapped over and reinstalled so he won't smoke the coupler or tear the gimbal bearing up... A really big one will be to pretty much assume that new exhaust manifolds and risers are something to seriously consider... it would be a shame to do all that work and then have the replacement engine ruined in the first weeks by a cracked manifold...

Of course if he was to look through posts on here, he might also decide to go with an econimical reman 350 long block right from the start... Personally, I can see tearing into things and just getting started on it like he did... and he probably didn't hurt a thing. just my two cents...

MikDee

Banned

I'm just gonna add one thing to the good post from tim, as he said basically if using it in salt water, marine specific head gaskets need to be used, along with brass freeze out plugs.

Maclin

Admiral

I think it is important that the original poster understand that the coupler could have been damaged by not removing the outdrive first. No matter how good the engine swap out is the boat will not be much fun to own if the coupler was damaged while taking the engine out and does not get inspected/replaced during the swap.

MikDee

Banned

Another very good point brought up by Maclin! Either replace, or check your coupler out thoroughly, it is the main part that delivers torque, or power transfer, between the engine, & drive. You can only get at it with the engine out! ;)

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

I can't see where any thong went "wrong" with this thread. "Assuming" the OP has no knowledge of or has not researched the difference between Marine/USCGA components and automotive seems a bit presumptuousl................ IMO. If the OP chooses to forge on with his repower not having all the information he needs............that, and all the consequences are on him. That said, the fact he successfully removed the engine not only from the boat but a truck as well, speaks volumes for his capability's, and motivation.
Having repowered a boat myself in the past I can tell you for me it was no big deal. Even though I purchased the correct factory manuals, I only referred to them a few of times. And that was for torque specs, wiring information, and a setting procedure or two. All information I could have obtained here, had I choose to ask.

dankleinman

Cadet

ok first off I did remove the outdrive first I did see that somewhere in the many post that I read about this . I also started to take the motor apart but only the starter and the alt. before a friend of mine came over to look at the engine and we decided to have the crack welded so I took it to a welder today and he said since it was only in the water jacket that he would have no problems fixing it so I put the sstuff back on the motor that I took out and re installed it today . now where I may have messed up was it seemed like it would make more sense to me to take the 4 lag bolts out instead of the 2 big bolts in case I ewas to use the same motor that way I would not have to mess with reshimming the motor . I have it all back in the boat but have not tried to install the outdrive yet because of all the talk of having a tool to alighn the shaft I will see if it goes back into place tomorrow without the tool but if not there is a marina about 2 miles from my house I will take it there and have them reinstall it. I will let you guys know hiw it goes

thanks

dan

Coors

Captain

Dan; you are fast. Just slow down now.
Tricks to put it back together.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

now where I may have messed up was it seemed like it would make more sense to me to take the 4 lag bolts out instead of the 2 big bolts

Nope, didn't mess up. There you did good. ;) It would be a good idea to check the condition of the stringers and make sure there is no rot while the engine is out.

now where I may have messed up was it seemed like it would make more sense to me to take the 4 lag bolts out instead of the 2 big bolts in case I ewas to use the same motor that way I would not have to mess with reshimming the motor .

You don't shim the motor, but you do adjust the front motor mounts up and down as necessary. And yes, you do need the alignment bar to do this. You can certainly have the marina do it, but since you sound like a guy who likes doing his own work, you will eventually need the alignment bar as this is something you want to check periodically anyway.