overheating???

gustafsonerik

Petty Officer 1st Class
87 force 85hp i just hooked up the alarm on my boat put it seems to being going on all the time if you rev the engine it goes on..or if you run it awhile and shut the engine off it will sounds a few minutes later??? i added a tell tale hole and water shoots out just find..is the motor overheating or is it a sensor?? can it still **** water and still overheat??? thanks Erik

maxum247

Lieutenant
Re: overheating???

87 force 85hp i just hooked up the alarm on my boat put it seems to being going on all the time if you rev the engine it goes on..or if you run it awhile and shut the engine off it will sounds a few minutes later??? i added a tell tale hole and water shoots out just find..is the motor overheating or is it a sensor?? can it still **** water and still overheat??? thanks Erik

Are you certain it's wired correctly?

gustafsonerik

Petty Officer 1st Class

yeah it goes to the sensor to the horn to a live wire..if water pisses out of it could it still overheat somehow>>>

maxum247

Lieutenant

yeah it goes to the sensor to the horn to a live wire..if water pisses out of it could it still overheat somehow>>>

It could run warmer if there were a partial block of the cooling system or the water pump impeller is worn or damaged.

john from md

Commander

You can still overheat even though the water is coming out of the telltale if you have a blockage in the system or a bad thermostat. The reason the horn comes on after shudown is that the engine temp goes up for a little while after the water stops pumping.

Try this to check for a bad thermostat. Start the engine and keep your hand on the exhaust box cover. It should get quite warm and then cool off as soon as your thermostat opens.

If it doesn't get cool move to the next step. Remove the thermostat and run the engine. Does the alarm still sound? If so, you have bad pump or blockage in the system. If it does not, put in a new thermostat.

Don't take the boat out without a thermostat. You will run into problems as it is will not run at its designed temperature.

Regards,

John

gustafsonerik

Petty Officer 1st Class

approx how long do you have when the alarm sounds to shut the engine of before its scrap metal thanks Erik

yohuallin

Cadet

keep in mind that the water that goes trough your tale, is before the thermostat, so you could be peeing water but the thermostas is never openning, therefore, you engine is not getting any water, check the thermostat...

john from md

Commander

Eric,

You should shut down as soon as you get an overheat alarm.

Additionally, the stress that your engine experiences when it overheats is cummulative. That means that, while a new engine that gets an overheat warning may be ok for ten minutes, an engine that has experienced several overheats may not tolerate the next one.

It only takes a few minutes to check out the system. Don't mess around or you will wind up with scrap metal.

Regards,

John

gustafsonerik

Petty Officer 1st Class

once that alarm goes off how long do u have approx until the engine is scrap thanks Erik