2001 35 hp johnson please help

i have a 2001 35 johnson that will not stay running. i put new plugs, wires, fuel filter and still no go. it will start for about 5 seconds or so and shut off. occasionally it will stay running for a few minutes but it eventually shuts down. when it dose stay running i rev it up in neutral and it sonuds like it is running in something like a "cripple mode" a few people told mr to check the ball pump. thye ball gets rock hard after only one pump and that is something that has never happened before. when i put gas into the carbs it will not start for a little while (flooded?) but eventually will run. when i i am able to get it to stay running and rev it up the power seems to come and go IE: it sounds and acts like it should briefly and then quickly goes back to sounding and running like and crap and it also will bog down like it is about to die and then quickly catches itself but dose not improve it just stays running poorly. i am looking over my manual for a while so if you get back to me i will be here to answer. thabks in advance. i literally just paid my dock fees so i do not have the money to send it to a shop and i see summer slipping away already please help!

Re: 2001 35 hp johnson please help

First, I was warned rather sternly not to idle engine up past 1500 RPM's because of the chances of a runaway engine. Scared the heck out of me. I can't afford a new engine.

Did you check all cylinders for spark?

When was the last time you cleaned the carbs?

What is the compression of each cylinder?

What do the plugs look like? Black dry/oily?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like it is burning up the gas in the carbs and then running out, evil one.

That would be a fuel supply problem. You burned a hole in your pocketbook changing stuff that did not need changing. Always find out what is wrong before you change anything.

Likely suspects are a weak or dead fuel pump, air leaks in the hoses or connectors, pinched or twisted fuel line, restricted tank pickup or vent.

First, inspect the hoses and connectors for possible air leaks. Check the tank pickup for restrictions. If you find no trouble there, disconnect the hose from the inlet to the carb and stick it in a bottle. Spin the engine over a few times and look for strong squirts of fuel into the bottle. No squirts? Overhaul the fuel pump.

Good luck, and let us know what you find. :)

i HAVE already had the stator, rectifier , powerpack checked as well as all 3 ignition coils. the spark seems ok i checked them on a spark tester as well as visually checking each one. the plugs are a little wet and smell like fuel but then again they are brand new. all fuel lines and connectors seem OK and the fuel tank pick up is also ok ( i can suck gas through it with minimal effort). i am going to use some carb cleaner today to cleam them without tearing them down and the i will do a compress. check. i will also do what you said about the fuel pump. i have talked to a fwe other people ho here that have led me on a goose chase and all i wanted was some better ideas . this also happened out of nowhere it ran like a dream one day and the next all this happened. at first i wasnt sure i was getting spark but i checked it in the bright of day after a better second look i did have spark and im pretty sure it is good spark.