Leg Oil

revned

Cadet
I have a 1972 65hp Johnson 50th anniversary and wondering how much Gear oil goes into the leg. I put some in and it seemed that there was not enough oil. I also know that it take c-7 oil i think. got the bottle in the garage. Any info will hep.

thanks

rayodunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Leg Oil

I have a 1970 60hp which is the same lower unit! I don't know what c-7 oil is? You will need to have 2-3 Litres of TYPE-C oil which is different than the normal oil for lower units as yours is hydroelectric shift. I didn't use all of the 3 litres but it's better to have too much than too little! Fill from bottom fill hole with top vent screw out. Wait for oil to trickle from vent (Top Screw) and then put in vent screw. Remove fill hose quickly and replace fill screw (Bottom Screw) and your done.

rayodunne

Petty Officer 1st Class

Didn't really take note as to the quantity as you know it's full when it starts coming out the top hole. I'm guessing about 2L. Make sure your motor is lever when doing the fill.

revned

Cadet

I put in like 500ml and it was filled. was filling it from the bottom.

rayodunne

Petty Officer 1st Class

You filled it from the bottom and only got in 500ml? I could swear I put more in than that. How fast was it pumped in?

Ok after some searching I found that the capacity of this lower unit is approx 25oz = 739ml. Guess I was asleep when I filled mine!

Last edited:

revned

Cadet

I geuss that i have close to the right amount of oil and i checked the bottle and it was type-c. Not sure where i got the c-7 oil name.

GlasV162

Petty Officer 1st Class

Make sure you change the seals on the drain and fill plugs when you change the gear lube. They're cheap. Cheaper than a new lower unit.

revkab

Seaman Apprentice

The service manual for my '69 55 hp "Triumph" with push button shift indicates 37.2 oz (a little over a quart) capacity for my lower unit. I just purchased some of the same lube this morning. While the label does not specificall say "Type C," the label on the front reads "For extended electric shift gearcase life," and the back label reads, "Recommended for electric shift lower gearcases used on Evinrude/Johnson Outboards 1962 - 1972.

The (Bombardier) Evinrude/Johnson part number is 775609, and is a one quart unit (946 ml.)

Attachments

• WB Grad 2008 004.jpg
    WB Grad 2008 004.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 0