Shifter switch operation/adjustment

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
'97 J150EXEUE shifter switch causes the engine to stall when shifting from foward to neutral (but not from reverse to neutral) and then the switch remains in the shift mode unless the shift lever is "jiggled" back and forward one time to release the switch (If the switch is still engauged it will not start). (The engine other than for this problem is running well and shifts well.)
What are the probable causes of the linkage not releasing the switch?
What damage could happen if the switch were disconnected?
What else should I be asking?

Thanks,
Nick

levittownnick

Re: Shifter switch operation/adjustment

I can't beleieve that a little "shifter switch" got this board stumped (but it sure has me stumped).

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Have you made sure the switch is adjusted properly? It's located on the starboard side of the powerhead at the shift linkage.

levittownnick

No, I didn't realise that there is an adjustment sequence.
Thanks for the tip, I'll try to find the procedure in the manual tonight.

Thank you,
Nick

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Not sure which manual you have but start by removing the shift cable. Center the cable on the shift linkage when the motor is in neutral. Sometimes the shift switch is adjusted OK but the cable is off a bit.

levittownnick

Took out my Johnson manual and looked at the Shifter Switch (SS). There are no adjustments on the SS per say but the shifter cable may be adjusted, however it looks about right, but the backlash in this cable is a concern. The manual says to pull the slack out suggesting that there is some normal backlash but how much is normal? This cable has about 1/4 to 3/8 inch of backlash which appears to be located in the single lever control assembly. The book doesn't say how much backlash is acceptable. Since I have no experience, I don't know how much is Ok. Should I be taking the control assembly apart to see if it can be reduced? Can anyone tell me what is acceptable?

Thanks again,
Nick

levittownnick

The light just went on! The shift cable has a twist in it and in order to connect it to it's post it must be twisted one direction or the other. This twist will influence the activation of the Shifter Switch (SS). In one direction, it will tend to activate the SS. In the other direction it will tend to keep the switch off. I (hope) all that needs to be done is select the right direction of twist to keep the SS from false activation.

I'll let you know how I make out the next time I have the boat out.

Thanks to all, especially Dhadley, without whom many of us would be struggeling.
Nick

levittownnick

This "Shifter Switch" assembly still has me puzzled. On my last post I said I would let you know how how the torque on the shift cable worked out, obviously, it didn't. Now I'm back to square one and a half. I disconnected the shifter switch and the engine starts fine and does not stall when shifting from foward to neutral but is a little hesitant to go into neutral from foward. For the time being, I'm going to leave it without a shifter switch until I find out what's happening. Any advise?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

With the shift cable off and the motor in neutral, is the shift linkage on the motor straight up & down?

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

I think you guys are missing the question here......

The engine stalls while shifting

Could be a couple things:
1) Idle is too low. It needs to idle at 650 - 750 in gear, not tied to the dock.
2) The shift rod in the gearcase goes through a housing that corrodes from time to time binding the rod. This can cause that problem.
3) The lower motor mounts can corrode and swell causing the shift rod to bind where it passes from the steering tube throught the mid-section just above the lower unit.

You can determine the last two items by disconnecting the shift cable and shifting it by hand with the motor off and slowly turning the prop. If it is stiff to shift, you have a bind. A binding shift shaft will engage the shift switch longer than it should stalling the motor.

levittownnick

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been out of town for a few days but I will check within the next week.

Thank you,
Nick