1955 25hp Johnson sequential twins..

dlplost

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All, new here. New to outboard motors, I've allways had I/O's.
I recently stumbled on a PAIR of RDE-17-S motors. (1955 25hp Johnson)As it turns out not JUST a pair, these serial numbers are sequential, one right after the other..
1304020 and 1304021. Seems hard to believe they have been kept together all these years.
So My questions are:
1. How common is this, Are they worth any more as a pair?
2. Are there collectors out there that would be interested in them?
3. How much should I expect to get out of them?

Yes they BOTH run, I'm not a collector, I don't have a boat I can use them on, (I'm looking for a 40-50 hp long shaft) Willing to sell or trade..
Thanks for any and all comments..

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: 1955 25hp Johnson sequential twins..

It's a crapshoot. If you can find someone with a boat of the same period who is looking for a dual engine setup, they might bring more. These days, lots of folks are fixing up boats from the 50s and 60s, so there's some interest in duals, given that that was the only way to get the horsepower in those days.

For some detail-oriented folks the sequential serial numbers could double the price they'd be willing to pay. Appearance, for such folks, isn't critical, since they won't tolerate any blemishes, and will refinish the outboard until it looks like no Johnson ever looked out of the factory anyhow.

The problem is in finding the right person...the guy who just can't live without your 1955 pair. aomci.org might turn something up, and the fiberglassics.com website is full of people who are fixing up vintage boats. You might find someone there.

I'll tell you a story: I had a really nice Johnson RDS-20 (1958 35hp) on the back of my crummy trihull. Ran like a top and didn't look too bad. I was on the lake one day, and this guy motored up to me and offered me what I thought was an obscene amount for it. I sold it on the spot for enough to buy a late-model replacement engine. Now, that model sells, generally for under $500, but it was exactly the outboard this guy wanted for his vintage fin boat. It was the engine shown in the original brochure from the boat maker. Nothing else would do.

We went back to the ramp, pulled the outboard off my boat and put it in his pickup, along with the controls, wiring, and everything else, including an original 12 gal. metal tank. We drove to the bank and he got the cash. I junked the crummy trihull and kept the trailer.

You need a guy like that.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

mind is blank, but who is the guy running an 18 and a 25 on an older boat. these would be right up his alley.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

As CAT mentioned, you need to find the right guy with the right need. A sequentially serialed pair of '55 Johnsons is a neat thing to have and certainly may draw a hair more interest than your usual matched set. Advertise them at www.aomci.org and www.fiberglassics.com to aim at your target buyers...
- Scott

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I do think they are worth more than a random pair of motors. If you want to sell them, take some decent digital pics and post an ad in every antique boat and motor site that you can find. I think I would ask for offers for awhile and not get in a hurry to sell them, until you get a feel for what the market is for the motors. You might ask folks that are familiair with antique boats and motors if there is such a thing as an appraiser who might have some idea what they are worth. Heck, even the Antique Road Show guys might be worth a shot because, what they don't know, they can ususally find out about.

dlplost

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, Thanks guys.
As I read these it came to mind that I have the perfect market nearby. I'm about 3 hours drive from Clayton,NY where they have the Antique Boat Show every year about the first week of August.
I'll try the sites you mentioned, if i dont sell by aug. I can take them to Clayton.

Thanks for the info..

cc67

Petty Officer 1st Class

on fleabay, three grand for the pair.

CATransplant

Admiral

on fleabay, three grand for the pair.

I don't think so. Not even close to that. Minor bragging rights for a collector who put them on his vintage boat, but just minor. Any two 55 Johnson 25s, restored, look like all the rest of them.

Having sequential serial numbers would be sort of cool for one of these guys, but just sort of cool. Might be work a few hundred more than a pair of random outboards of the same model.

Now, if you had one still in its original crate, unopened, you might be talking $3000. But, there are just too many 25 hp outboards from that era around, easily restored, to make a sequential pair that wonderful.

Now, if Jay Leno was looking for just those motors, he'd probably pay that much for a perfect sequential pair. But....he's not.

wbeaton

Commander

No one has mentioned the most important factor - condition. A pair in beautiful original condition will bring more than a couple in poor cosmetic shape. Also, those green Johnsons are less desirable than the later red ones at least around here.

I've heard no "real" numbers, yet. Peter Hunn's "The Old Outboard Book" third edition puts a value of $250 per motor that runs and is in nice original condition. I sold a 1953 Evinrude 25 hp in that shape for $300 last year and the buyer has had it up for sale for six months or so at $350. I doubt you will see much more than that per motor. Also, you want to sell them as a pair, which greatly reduces your market. You really need a dream buyer. Honestly, when I buy motors (and I do this a lot - lol) I always pay less for two than I do for one. Always. I consider it a bulk discount.

Good Luck with them. I hope they stay together and find a beautiful old boat to call home.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

You have my curiosity going - please post a pic of the motors so we can see what sort of shape they are in.

jbjennings

Captain

I agree, The sequential serial numbers are nice, but condition is everything. And I think you would get more if you sold them separate as well. You definitely need to find that "special" buyer. But it would be fun to look for him.:) Personally, I love those green 25's and would love to have 'em myself. I think the green looks AWESOME on an old wood boat!
Good luck,
JBJ

dlplost

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Personally, I love those green 25's and would love to have 'em myself. I think the green looks AWESOME on an old wood boat!
Good luck,
JBJ

So.. Make Me an offer! Just explain to the Wife that you could ONLY buy them in a pair, and WELL.....Now you NEED to buy another Boat for the other one..

To see Pictures, goto Ebay and search for 300231639860.
As for the price..Ya gotta start somewhere, I can allways relist them at a lower price. I've got all summer, and if not sold by Aug I'll take them up to Clayton, NY to the antique Boat Show.
I'm also willing to trade, I need a 40-50hp long shaft motor.