Thinking about swapping outdrives

H2ot Times

Cadet
I bought a 1979 Silverline Granada a few weeks ago. I really like the looks of this little boat. I had never seen one before. All the silverlines I had seen were fishing boats, for lack of a better term. This boat has a closed bow, a small smoked plexiglass wrap around windshield, two swival bucket seat and a bench seat. More of a ski boat. I have never had a boat with an outdrive before. 2 jets and 2 v-drives. So, now I have a boat with an OMC 400 Stringer outdrive behind a 3.0 GM 4 banger. I am quickly discovering that this was likely a mistake. All I hear about the outdrive is that parts are hard to find and expensive when you find them. I understand that the engine is a good little engine. I don't like to own anything that I can't work on so the first thing I did was buy a manual. Before it even arrives I read 2 posts that say buy a manual but NOT Seloc. Which is of course what I had just ordered online. My tilt doesn't work nor does the trim. From reading many of the posts in here you would almost think that none do. After reading much of the manual I wonder if I can even get some of the tools needed to work on this outdrive.

All of that having been said, if I want to change this over to a USED or REBUILT mercuiser outdrive which one should I shop for ? Is there any particular one/or more to stay away from? I realize, of course, that the tramsom will have to be modified. Are there any other good options?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Thinking about swapping outdrives

Any of the Mercruiser units will do. Look around and find an older one that is reasonable.If you buy a 120-140 your motor will work for parts.
It's not that hard to change over.Take pics of how it came apart.Jerry

H2ot Times

Cadet

Thanks for the info. There is nothing wrong with my engine.Do you know if I have to pull the engine to swap the outdrives or for the transom mods ?

tommays

Admiral

This is a BIG job as the OMC unit did not use the transome for support and has a GIANT hole were the merc would mount

You would need a transome rebuild and a COMPLEAT unit with all the bits and pieces as they shift differently

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I'm with Tommays,

I changed out my High tech Wunnerful OMC 460 King Cobra for a 454/Bravo. It was a complete "piece of cake"! .....a big job to be sure, but everything Mercruiser will bolt (to the transom) where any thing Cobra went!

COBRA
dscn0666.jpg

BRAVO
new4.jpg

Even the transom bolt holes matched up (I had to drill two additional holes for the Bravo)

If you want to remove a Stringer and install an Alpha/Bravo/Cobra etc, it's not going to happen unless you cut out the transom and for the most part REPLACE it!

Also, you're removing a drive system that DOES NOT put much force on the transom. All the engine/drive thrust is transmitted directly to the stringers (Hence the name "Stringer")

If you want to do the swap, plan on a nearly complete transom replacement and associated fiberglass work.

I would get another boat.

Cheers,

Rick

H2ot Times

Cadet

The more I find out about this the more i'm inclined to just sell this thing and buy another jet boat. Yea I'll spend more on gas,but they are pretty much trouble free. No gears, no clutches, no tilt motors, etc.
Thanks for the tips guys.

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

The tilt and trims are not hard to fix, although the tilt motor can be a little hard to reach depending on engine and boat design. So what's happening with yours? Is the motor working but it's not tilting, or is the motor not working at all? If you're fairly handy, there's a couple of us OMC types that can probably help ya get sorted out.