Evinrude 225, got it running, but...

22ISLANDER

Seaman
I'm posting a letter that I wrote to a local Looper guy about my adventures getting this engine going, I've had my share of let-downs, but refuse to give up.
One mistake that I made is that I stated I used NGK plugs, but they were actually Autolite that were cross referenced from Champion plugs ( the parts store did not have Champions)....... If anyone has some helpful input, I would much appreciate it.

I have a 1987 Evinrude 225...TXCUB...it is mounted on a Seadrive on my old '85 Wellcraft 228 Sportsman WAC. (VRO is bypassed, so is the shift interupt switch)

I bought the boat knowing that it was not running, but it has good compression..88-92 psi ( which I have been told is very good for a looper).

The guy who sold me the boat told me the stator was bad, so I bought another stator and installed it with no luck, no spark. Then I took the boat to a certified OMC shop to have it troubleshooted, and they told me that both power packs were bad. So I saved up some more money and bought used power packs ( with a warranty that they were in good working order), installed them, and still no spark.

Then, I paid a guy to come over ( Marine Tech) with his Fluke DVA meter to test the system. He told me the Timer base was bad. So I saved up some more and bought another Timer base. But this time, when I pulled the flywheel, I noticed a magnet had cracked and moved. I did some more research and found this was a common problem ( iboats.com), so I knocked out all the magnets from the flywheel, bought a new one, cleaned up the flywheel and re-glued them with metal epoxy, properly spaced as per BRP instructions, then replaced the Timer base and put it all back together.

Finally, I had spark !

But still could not get the beast to run.

I pulled all the drain plugs from the carbs, and the fuel that came out was clean. I pulled one carb off and removed the float bowl to have a look for varnish or debris, and it was clean as a whistle. The previous owner told me he had the carbs gone thru before he sold me the boat ( the guy has been very honest with me, and has answered any questions I had about the boat after the sale).

Getting desparate, I finally got it to start with a shot of starting fluid in the airbox, it would fire, barely run, then smoothed out and settled down, seeming to run great. ( all cranking and starting was on water muffs). I 'doped' the fuel with Fresh Start

Finally it was time to launch the boat !

All was well for about about 45 minutes, then it started losing power, and died at a dock 10 miles from where I launched. I figured it had to be bad fuel.

So, my next trick was to get a 6 gallon tank with fresh fuel and oil, mixed 50:1, drain the carbs and shoot the bowls with carb cleaner, flush the old fuel out of the lines, and bypass the fuel tank all together. Once again, it was a bear to start, and finally pulled the spark plugs and they were fouled and oily. So I put new plugs in and it started up and cleared itself up.

5 miles into my trip back home ( not on a plane, but above trolling speed) the engine started losing power again, and fowled the plugs once again. NGK plugs. I pulled them and they were soaked !

I know this is a long story, but I'm lost. And nearly broke. And I'm having a hard time trying to trust folks who take my money but don't fix or find the real problem.

Since you have your own website, and are a dedicated OMC Looper guy, I figure you might be able to steer me in the right direction.

The engine is not overheating, 2 brand new batteries, new plug wires, good spark, clean fuel. It puts out 14-15 volts on high idle.

Question is, carbs or ignition ???

This is my first 2-stroke outboard, I used to be strictly a Mercruiser guy.

Be glad to swap for a 200 that runs...Ha Ha Ha !!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Evinrude 225, got it running, but...

I'm no pro but i would first get the correct plugs,Champion QL77JC4 Gapped at .030,Some of those older motors only ran good on Champion plugs.
Any signs of fuel leaks or does the primer bulb pump up firm?
Complete carb rebuilds would be a wise move.Draining the bowls and shooting carb cleaner in does nothing as far as cleaning all the orifices inside the carb.:)

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I know that it is something that you may have already checked, but the sensor magnets may be part of the problem that you are experiencing. These are the magnets in the center of the flywheel. You can check for correct position using the chart on page 81 of the CDI Electronics troubleshooting guide. http://cdielectronics.com/portals/0/downloads/Troubleshooting%20Guide%202006.pdf

Attachments

• Sensor Magnet.JPG
    Sensor Magnet.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 0

Benny1963

Lieutenant

sounds like you may need to check magnets again or go thru carbs yourself
spark test again, check your timeing
seems if your gassing plugs you have either a spark issue or a carb issue float .needle and seat ,dirty .you may not be seeing it . may have
needle and seat prob

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Check the magnets just for giggles as once they shift they stay shifted. Was the stator you replaced new?? If not it could be shutting down and by the time you check carbs and stuff it will cool and run correct. Also replace all fuel lines from Vro to carbs as they are over 20 years old. I have see them rot from the inside and small pieces of rubber hang in needle and seats. What up Bennie!!!:p

22ISLANDER

Seaman

Thanks for the advice guys.

The sensor magnet is in the proper position, and the flywheel magnets are also positioned, or gapped 7/16" apart. My question is, can that sensor magnet be replaced, or does one have to buy a new flywheel ?

As for the stator, it looks like new and nothing dripping or melting away, once the engine comes off idle, the voltmeter jumps up from 12.5 volts to nearly 15 volts, so I know it is charging correctly.

I do not think it's the carbs, the engine idles smooth when its running with the butterflies fully closed, and as soon as you blip the linkage, it barks instantly.

It just seems that the spark starts to slowly drop off, causing the plugs to get soaked after about 1/2 hour running under load in the water.

I'm going to try new plugs this weekend....the recommended Champions, and see if that helps. This time, I'll be staying close to the ramp in case it dies again...

I did have one guy suggest upgrading the complete ignition system from a newer engine, but I do not think the parts would work. the engine is an '87, and I know for sure that the flywheels are different for starters...

I'll get it sorted out.....someday.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The charging voltage is just a tad high but that could be your guage. This voltage does nothing for the packs. The charge coils on the stator (brn/brn-w) charge the capacitor in the packs which is dumped to coils. If spark is fading after engine is hot ,I would lean toward a bad stator or loosing ground when hot.