turn radio off when key is turned off...

94OMC

Seaman
Currently my stereo is hooked up so that it only comes on when the key is in the 'on' position. My ignition switch only has an off, on, and start position. I've been told that it's not a good idea to run accessories for a long time with the key in the 'on' position but the engine not running.

Is there a better way to hook up the stereo? I'd like to be able to listen to the stereo without the engine running, but want it to turn off when the key is removed or turned off.

Thanks

Thunder_SS

Cadet
Re: turn radio off when key is turned off...

Mine is wired directly to the battery, which is nice when you are anchored, you can shut the key completely off, and still have the stereo on.

One nice to do is maybe hook it through an accessory switch on the dash, so when you shut off your lights, bilge pump, and what not, you should be able to remember.

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

I don?t think you can have it both ways ? On, (powered), with the key off, but off, (unpowered), with the key off. If you want it on with the key off, you?ll have to switch the radio?s power lead from ignition 12v, usually purple, to protected 12v, usually red with a purple stripe, or unprotected 12v, usually red, and you?ll have to remember to turn it off. If your boat has a main power switch just flip it off when done and you don?t have to worry if you might have left something on that will drain the battery, unless it?s powered through an unprotected circuit or directly to the battery.

Phantom_II

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You might also consider replacing your current ignition switch with a 4 position switch. One with an "accessory" position. I see the iboats marine store has a few of them listed for around $20

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

1st and foremost, there should be nothing powered by the ignition switch, other than the choke and starter. all accessories, should be a separate system run directly off the battery, with circuit breaker at the battery for the accessory system, power is run to a fuse block, then to switches. see the wiring diagrams at the top of this forum.

94OMC

Seaman

You might also consider replacing your current ignition switch with a 4 position switch. One with an "accessory" position. I see the iboats marine store has a few of them listed for around $20

That's perfect - I didn't see that there was more than one page of ignition switches in the marine store.

Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

don't!!! read my post again. if one of those accessories creats problems. you may get stuck at sea, expensive sea tow trip to the ramp.

PmDavis300

Petty Officer 2nd Class

don't!!! read my post again. if one of those accessories creats problems. you may get stuck at sea, expensive sea tow trip to the ramp.

well a safer option if you have to do that would be to use a relay on the keyswitch

94OMC

Seaman

So even the ignition switches with the accessory postion are not safe to use in this manner? What are those types of ignition switches used for?

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

Set up a dual battery system. For under $100, you will have the security of a second battery, and the convenience of turning off all power at the end of the day by turning the battery switch off.