No electrical power

puck2

Recruit
I have a 2002 Sea Ray 176BR. It's immaculate, never had even a small issue with it. It has a Mercruiser 3.0L 135hp Alpha. Yesterday (after having it in the garage all winter) I put a new battery in it. Electrically, only the trim motor works! The rest of the boat is dead! No electrical power anywhere else, none to the dash no blower or bilge, lights, horn etc. It's as if there's an electrical master switch somewhere that's off. If there is, I can't find it! All the fuses (that I can locate) are good. I hate to take it to the dealer. There must be a breaker or something that's blown. Any ideas???? Help!

Last edited:

Coors

Captain
Re: No electrical power

Time to start at the battery, and take apart, and clean all connections.
Or use a meter, to jump around in the harness, and find the bad connection.

puck2

Recruit

ok. New info concerning my issue. After a heart to heart with my 13 yr. old son he confessed to me... that while I was at work he wanted to get the boat ready. In his words.... "When I hooked up the battery a bunch of sparks flew off it. So I unhooked it and put it back in the basement." Ok, so now I know the terminals were momentarily hooked up backwards!!!!

Toon

Cadet

there should be a circuite breaker on the starter

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer

WOW!

The 1st thing Id look at is the 50amp circut breaker on the engine. If your lucky it tripped and thats why everything is shut down.

puck2

Recruit

The 50A breaker has almost no movement. I can push it bearly (a slight spring) But I can't pull it out at all (as if trying to tripit. Could it be welded?

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer

Well thats definetly a problem

There should be a little yellow test button you should be able to press and the little red lever will swing open and kill power.

To reset you simply flip that lever back in and it will click into place.

If yours dont do that its a problem and is problable whats wrong. With voltage reversed its possible it fried the snot out of it and now needs to be replaced.

You could try to bypass it and turn your key to run NOT start and see if your dasboard at least lights up just to see if evereything elses is working.

puck2

Recruit

Thanks for the input and help. As it turns out, there is a 90 amp inline fuse, mounted on the starter. It was fried. $21.00 (quicksilver) part, which probably means it's worth $2.10. But nevertheless i'm now up and running!

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

After a heart to heart with my 13 yr. old son he confessed to me... that while I was at work he wanted to get the boat ready.

At least he fessed up! And it's nice to see some initiative - maybe it's time to show him a few basics of maintenance, etc. ;) That's how we all learn!

Maclin

Admiral

Probably lucky he did not get it right the first time and quit. He may have just wanted to listen to the stereo, but what if he had decided to start it up dry.....might have fried the impeller and sent chunks all up into the passages, hate to think of what else!

Good time to bring him into the maintenance and responsibility parts of boating, I bet he ends up being a big help very soon.

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer

Puck2

Im glad it worked out for you as simply and easily as that. Im glad I ws able to help you a little bit with the circut breaker post!

Summer is here so enjoy the boating season!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There should be a little yellow test button you should be able to press and the little red lever will swing open and kill power.

Just a note, those are NOT Merc circuit breakers that are put on the engines. The engines just have the red button on them.
Oh, and the 90amp breaker looks like this. I usually replace a couple a year for this very same reason, and age has nothing to do with it ;)

SquareMercFuse.png

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer

I may have stated that wrong....The red button releases the the "flag" and opens the circut I think the flag was yellow...

This is on a BRAND NEW 07 boat so not sure why it woulndt be a Merc breaker? Sure its problably made by a 3rd party but Merc used it on my Boat. This boat hasnt been butcherd by anyone and is all factory under the hood.

My 28 foot cruser has the round breaker ( circa 93 ) so something has changed in recent years thats for sure.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That is a 2007 change, even the 2006 models didn't use that type breaker, he has a 2002.
If you want to give info like that, just make sure your system is the same as his. I do.

bluearcher999

Recruit

Wow, I have been working on the crazy starting behavior I have this year on my Searay 180 BR. Which was perfect last year..:)

Starts/then doesn't- it clicks/clicks clicks clicks /starts and will start all day after...next day start, start..click. The click is coming out of the slave solonoid ...so...checking it out, cleaning connections, my wratchet arched a spark and......now no juice to anything at all. No fuse blown in the dash. Circuit breaker not tripped....Im thinking 90amp fuse is toast/and the clicking needs the slave replaced.

Any comments? HELP!!!

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey, better to get the "battery backwards" lesson out of the way as a young teenager!!! (I waited 'till age 40 to "learn" this one). That's a cheap "out" for anything boat. Seems I never get away for under $200 no matter what the problem. Maybe you should replace the starter while you're at it to get up to he proper expense level for a boat problem. j/k

As was said, better he didn't get it "up and running" DRY for you.

My oldest son is 13 and addicted to working with me on the boat - I think I'll up his level to more than a gopher soon. He pretty handy and truth is I'm not so him being new at it maybe we're about even!