Johnson 25hp gear prob

neilym

Recruit
Hi, I don't really know much about boat engines so here goes!!

My outboard is a J25 BAL CTE & can't find any information on it anywhere.

I was wondering how to put gear oil in it, the reason I ask is because when I got the engine about 3 weeks ago it went in to gear fine, running or not running. I took the boat out 2 days ago and when I got home and hosed everything down went to run the engine in the bucket to clear the salt water, I went to put the gear lever on the motor in neutral and it was stuck in forward so I couldn't pull start it. I pushed the lever back with a bit of force in to neutral but it wouldn't stay and kept pinging back to forward so I got my mate to hold it in neutral while I flushed it and when I did that the prop was spinning so it was still stuck in gear.

After a few hours, I went back and tried to shift it and it was easier but it was still stuck forward no matter where the lever was positioned, the lever is not slipping or anything because everything was still nice and tight as it should be so I am totally confused!

I had a look at it this morning and after a couple of shifts with out it running, everything works as it should and in neutral the prop spins freely but not 100% freely. It's definately not in gear or even close to being in gear because nothing is grinding.

Any help or diagnosis would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks for reading :)

JJags3

Seaman
Re: Johnson 25hp gear prob

Have you checked yet to see if you have gear lube in the LC and what condition it is in? It will look like a whitish color milkshake if it is contaminated with water. You can drain and refill with fresh oil by removing the two slotted screws on the lower foot. Both of them are located on the right side as you face the boat from the rear. Each will have a plastic washer that must be replaced each time you change the lube.

To refill, pump in new gear lube through the lower screw opening and continue until lube starts coming out the top screw opening. Put the TOP screw back in and tighten, with a new washer, while the pump is still in the lower opening. Then remove the pump and quickly replace the remaining screw, with its new washer.

Now, I don't know if that will resolve your shifting problem. After you have the LU taken care of, you can let us know where you stand. A lot of guys on here can help.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your engine is a Belgian made 1983, Niel.

neilym

Recruit

How did you find that out???

Anyway, I don't know about this slotted screw in the lower foot but there is a little cap which is screwed on about halfway up the leg which covers a rod with 2 bolts which are for the gear selector I think.

Any reasons for the sticky gears? I haven't got a clue what made / is making it stick!!

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

That cap covers the shift rod disconnect for use if you are dropping the lower unit. Check much lower and you will see the 2 large slotted screws, they are the ones to drain and refill the LU oil. You should do that and see what the oil looks like.

neilym

Recruit

Unless you know how to do magic, the LU is ruined!!!

My buddy had a look at it today and the prop shaft is slightly bent and the seals are completely knackered because water leaks out on the prop shaft seal so he thinks that salt water has been working its power of ruining things for a little while now so he's 99% sure that the gears are in a state of disrepair. Gutted!!!

Thanks to the people that responded, very much appreciated.

:)

neilym

Recruit

UPDATE:

The motor is not that bad, there was no oil in the gear case but everything apart from the reverse gear bushing, a thrust bearing and lower washer is fine.

What's the best thing to soak the parts in to get them clean?