Evinrude OEM paint

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant
Can you still get matching spray paint for Evinrude outboards from the 80's.

I would like to clean & repaint my lower unit, and am having a hard time finding the right paint.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant
Re: Evinrude OEM paint

As always thanks for the tip, T-Daddy! :D

I would love to purchase from our sponsor!

Unfortunately iboats is “out of stock” :(, and paint can't be shipped “Air Freight” anymore.

My experience is that ground/ship shipping can take up to six months. :mad:

But at least I now know it can be had. I just have to find it on this side of the pond.

Cheers,
Turtle

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

tempopaint.com is dead, and the web address is up for sale. :eek:

Doesn't look good.

I did find a marine "merchandise clearing house" that had it listed, but it is marked discontinued. :mad:

Thanks again. :D

Reggie08

Petty Officer 1st Class

ST,
Take a look at these pics. Like I mentioned in our PM's, I had a heckuva time finding OMC paint locally.

Motor Repaint Pics

BigNiner19

Petty Officer 1st Class

ST,
Take a look at these pics. Like I mentioned in our PM's, I had a heckuva time finding OMC paint locally.

Motor Repaint Pics

Reggie,

Your motor came out real nice. I havent seen results that good with a spray can until now. Did you spray the entire motor? Get new emblems? How much sanding did you do? Apply any primer?

Cory

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Reggie that looks great, not good, I mean really great! I don't know many people that can get such results out of a can.

The decals are the crowning touch. You set the bar pretty high this time, I will never achieve these results!

Reggie08

Petty Officer 1st Class

Reggie,

Your motor came out real nice. I havent seen results that good with a spray can until now. Did you spray the entire motor? Get new emblems? How much sanding did you do? Apply any primer?

Cory

That's cuz it has DDB disease! "Distance Distorts Beauty" :D:D Up close and you'll definitely see some areas where I messed up.

The lower unit and midsection was simply cleaned with alcohol and some 0000 steel wool. No primer on those areas and no sanding. I did goober up the right side of the lower unit, visible in one of the pics. I was having a heckuva time getting my water tube and water pump to mesh correctly and unfortunately, I messed with that before the paint really had a chance to dry.

The cowling however, gave me fits. I wanted to make sure it looked the best so I focused a little more on it. Unfortunately, it gave me fits as well. I had to sand, then primer, then sand again, then paint, then sand again cuz the paint started to spider web on me, then paint again, then sand it again....you see where I'm going with this. I finally was able to get it to a point I was happy enough with it. Once it was painted, I added a few layers of clear coat then applied the new decals I ordered off of ebay. And since I put so much paint and primer on it, when I removed the tape from the rubber edge beading going around the lower part of the cowling, it peeled some of the paint off. I said to hell with it and left it as it is :rolleyes: Like I said, up close it doesn't look so hot. But from a distance it looks pretty good :D

Reggie08

Petty Officer 1st Class

Reggie that looks great, not good, I mean really great! I don't know many people that can get such results out of a can.

The decals are the crowning touch. You set the bar pretty high this time, I will never achieve these results!

ST,
Take your time and your motor will look great! In hind-sight, I wish now I wouldn't have put as much effort into the cowling as I did but it had some dings and nicks in it that I wanted to get rid of.

artherm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have repainted several hoods, and one engine complete. I have had very good results from OMC/Bombardier OEM paints available from my local boat dealer. They could still get my original color for 1988 Evinrude. The cost is about $6.00/can. This is good paint, and covers well. I have also taken one engine hood to my local buddy car body shop. They can scan the original paint color from your engine, and color match with their computer. This works great, then they can clear coat with the toughness of a car finish.

Benny1963

Lieutenant

i use tempo
reggie your motor came out good
hows it running got the bugs out
how did the parts from the bullet come out
bennyb

Reggie08

Petty Officer 1st Class

i use tempo
reggie your motor came out good
hows it running got the bugs out
how did the parts from the bullet come out
bennyb

I'm still working some bugs out. The first time we took it out it ran good but idled bad. This morning I put some 115hp high speed jets in my carbs. Seemed to help with the idle but it didn't run well at all. It acts like I have a spark issue though that I'm gonna tackle tomorrow. My wife seems to think it's the jets I put in (and it may very well be the case) but I would think if it's the jets, it would still run fine but run rich. Tonight it acted more like it was a spark issue :(

Benny1963

Lieutenant

put a timeing light on each cyl and look at it it should strobe evenly
you will see a cyl brake up if .shoot a little premix in each side of you carb
at idle if it stumbles its not lean ,how many sizes did you step up im fixing to go up on my 150 carbs that are on my 175 powerhead .bullet says the way to go .not sure havent fired mine up yet getting some lower unit work done
new skeg welded ,repaint reseal .nose cone and low water pickup .
let me know how it goes. been watchin your thread from day one
good job ,patience is everything ,

Reggie08

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll the pre-mix spray and see what it does.

I went from 56c size jets to 67c. Not sure if those are too big or not. The guy I got the motor from said it idled great when he had it running so I figured those jets from the 115hp carbs would work good.