ipod or MP3

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
i know absolutely nothing about these. but we are feed up with sirius radio. Sylvia spend quite a few hours a day in the car for work. the radio is equipped for either. recommendations, and why. where to download, we have many cds also.

DRIFTER_016

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: ipod or MP3

Same thing bud. An Ipod is just the brand name of an MP3 player made by Apple Corporation. :)

gss036

Commander

Ipod is a lot more money than MP3 players. Sounds like you have a newer car and will probably have a plug in adapter for either one. I sure like mine, you listen to what you want w/o commercials and alot of talking all the time.
I would suggest a min of 2gb. That will do 400+ songs. You can get ipods w/up to 8gb for video etc.
Sansu is a real popular make and are always on sale some where.

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would suggest a min of 2gb. That will do 400+ songs. You can get ipods w/up to 8gb for video etc.

Correction you can get I-pods with 80gb of memory... this is the same as an average computer :)

It's all up to preferance, If you can plug in an mp3 in your car you can plug in an i-pod.

I like i-pods because they are straight forward and even my neofight dad can use mine.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Correction you can get I-pods with 80gb of memory... this is the same as an average computer :)

It's all up to preferance, If you can plug in an mp3 in your car you can plug in an i-pod.

I like i-pods because they are straight forward and even my neofight dad can use mine.

neophyte - beginner
neofight - what the agents do in the Matrix!!! :D

I-pod is the way to go...... proven technology. Try the apple web site for some better deals on re-furbished ones.

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ahh yes I thought there was something wrong with that:)
thx mate

Fuzzey

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

thanks for the refurbished idea, save $50 on a nano. it will do for a start for her.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

That deal on a refurb (current generation) 4gb is very good. Apple has good customer service too.

A few years ago I gave my wife one for x-mas and last xmas I gave her a special car adapter...... (LOL my new car has a plug in).

Expidia

Commander

thanks for the refurbished idea, save $50 on a nano. it will do for a start for her.

Hi Tash

I'm not one for warranties, but I did get one for my Nano after two other ipods died after 13 mos each!

I've owned several ipods and the batteries are not very user replaceable. It can be done, but the battery is never the same as an OEM.

So I would get the Applecare warranty for $60. especially if you get a refurb or even a new one. Best thing is it not only extends the warranty to 2 years it also give you unlimited support for the full two years instead of 90 days.

The batteries on the older units tended to die after a year, even though the newer models are more energy efficient i'd still go for the $60 warranty. Apple will replace it free or give you another refurb unit. If the battery goes after a year it will cost you something like $90 for another battery from Apple.
Maybe they have lowered their price now since they had such a low battery life.

The free tech support is really great too when one is not an ipod techy!

The ipod is the great way to go since you can use a dual jack and both of you can listen on a plane or train and block out crying babies, loud passengers etc.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I also recommend the iPod. My wife and I each have one and love it. Are there better MP3 players out there? Probably. But the iPod is dead simple to use and so is iTunes once you get used to it. I agree on the warranty especially on hard drive based players. I just got an awesome deal on an 80 gig iPod Classic from J&R Music World and an aftermarket 5-year warranty that they sell.

i386

Captain

Here's my $.02.

I wouldn't buy an iPOD. Get a nice Sandisk MP3 player. They're cheap. But more importantly, you plug them in and they show up as a hard drive. You can copy songs to and from it with their software, Windows Media Player, or no software at all. You have a lot more freedom with the device (and YOUR music) than you will with the iPOD. AFAIK (things may have changed), you have to use itunes with iPOD unless you do some hack that TD isn't going to want to fool with. You can copy to the device but not from it. I'd just rather have more control over my stuff than that.

iPOD will be REALLY easy to use. I'll give it that.

Having said that... They make an iPOD interface for my truck. It's essentially a $250 cable that lets you control the iPOD with my stereo (much more than just an aux in). If they ever sell that for a reasonable price I MIGHT buy one just for my truck, but otherwise I'll stick with the Sandisk player.

The freedom thing I'm referring to is about copying and proprietary formats and such. There's no way to add any type of copy protection to the MP3 format. If you always rip your CDs in MP3 format you know you'll be able to play that music in anything you have for years to come. Just be aware of that. Other formats might work in your iPOD but it may lock you into iPOD forever. Even worse, windows media player can make files that will only play in your computer. If you lose your special license file you can't even play your own music anymore. So just be careful is all I'm saying. It just kinda scares me when people don't understand the technology. If it's easy to use, and easy to buy songs for (instant gratification) people will like it. But they totally won't understand until it's too late that they screwed themselves.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

On where to download music - If you are just going for background music I record to mp3 format on my hard drive web radio as it is played as an output to my sound card. I use software called Replay Radio that I am not crazy about but it works. You can then use the mp3 files you created as input to your iPod.

If you are into jazz try KPLU Tacoma.

jameskb2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm standing with i386 in the mP3 camp. The iPod is a nice unit, but there's more flexibility with a SanDisk unit. Heck, you can get generic mP3 players made by many different companies like Memorex or Panasonic ect...

Batteries: iPods have a proprietary battery. Other mP3 players use AA or AAA common batteries. I have rechargable NiCad or NiMh for my girls so they are trained to drain and recharge them.

Software: iPods have a nice intuitive interface, and songs are easily obtained and listened to through iTunes. mP3 players (other) can also download songs from iTunes, but you have more control over your media as i386 has stated. I prefer that. You can use a SanDisk unit as a flash drive too. (others as well)

Headphones: Most kids like the earbud phones, some older people don't. Either way, be prepared to buy a set of headphones at least once a year. The cords often break (thin wires) from stress points or snags. The insulation won't often break (a clean snap) but the conductor will.

You can still find "free" (illegal) song downloading here and there. I won't walk you though that, because....

You can share and make your own mP3's easily from your CD collection. With the right software, a dubbing cable to your sound card's input, you can make mP3's from your analog record or tape collection. I can help you do both. It's legal, you own the media right to use if you've purchase an original copy. Swapping song files with friends or family is not legal, but often done. (You have some, they have some, you both end up with all of them.)

Uh...that's about it, from here!

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Hey tashsadaddy.

One thing to consider when buying one is how your going to use it.

What I mean is if it's not going to spend it's time being taken care of don't get one with a harddrive in it. They don't like abuse, like working or boating.

I completely recommend one that is solidstate.

1g= about 20 hours of never hearing the same song twice

I have an old version of the ipod shuffle 1g (it's twice the size of the new one (physical size)) I use it in my van with a fm transmitter, I don't have a newer vehicle with the jack, I use it while working and boating. Can't kill the thing.

Sandisk is the company that makes the internals for almost every other company. About a year or so age they started selling them theirselves.

The coolest feature on any is playlists.

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer

Agree with i386 and Jameskb2.

We've got an older Sandisk MP3. I've ripped my own CD's for the music source, with occasional ripping from a radio or other source. Plug in the USB cable, and use Windoze Explorer to move the files to and from the MP3 player. It's easy, but not as easy / convenient as buying music from iTunes -- but it is *much* less expensive over time.

When you rip your music, be aware of what i386 has said. The Windoze Media Player format is much smaller, but you possibly lose some control over future use. The MP3 format takes up a lot more space, but is universal and will be for years.

Whatever you get, go with as much solid-state storage as you can afford. I'd avoid disk-based because I don't want even the possibility of problems from hard use, dropping it, etc etc. But that's me.

I got a simple patch cord to plug into the car sound system, and can play the MP3 through it when I'm traveling. This is a function of the sound system regardless of source (iPod vs MP3).

Sandisk (MP3) Advantages
Original purchase price is a small fraction of an iPod.
Ongoing music cost can be much less (especially if you rip music you already own).
Much greater control over your music.
Can easily move files between your PC and the player, and back.
Can purchase songs from multiple sources, not just iTunes (e.g. Amazon).
Can be used as USB hard drive to move non-music files if you have to.
Ongoing expense (i.e. batteries) much less.
Better long-term reliability (personal observation; others will disagree).

MP3 Disadvantages
Not as convenient - iPod user interface / controls unsurpassed
iPod is generally smaller / lighter than comparable generic MP3 players.

BTW - before you buy, it pays to check out Buy.com, too.

ilmostro99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is really hard to go wrong with whichever you choose. They all seem to have their advantages and disadvantages. I have tried several over the years, and now I have an Ipod Touch 16 gb. Personally, I would go with any ipod over the others (that I have tried), simply because of the menu interface (and no, I am not an Apple Fanboy). On my older Toshiba Gigabeat, it had great sound, but every time I tried to switch artists, I had to start at the beginning and scroll to the artist (starting at the "A's" when I left off in the "R's")- a pain when in the car and you have over 10 gig of music and artists on there, I had 40 gig. the ipod menu restarts where you left off (others may now as well).
Ipod has the name, and you will pay a bit extra for that, as most people think iPod is the only MP3, just as a few years ago when most people thought that AOL was the internet.
I mean no offense here, but if you are asking the question, I kind of doubt that you will be using the device as a bootable hard drive, or any hard drive for that matter. For simply listening to music, and/or watching movies, iPod gets my vote for the combination - quality, menu usability, ease of use, and ease of set-up. It is not just a simple machine, as it has the ability to do some pretty advanced stuff, but you don't have to get into that to just have a good, easy mp3 player.
FWIW, Erik

zach103

Commander

It is really hard to go wrong with whichever you choose. They all seem to have their advantages and disadvantages

i second that.. ive only had ipods.. i had the video but got stolen.. no i have the shuffle.. if you want to go for an ipod it all depends on how much music you listen to.. my video held alot but i never listened to all of it but it was nice to have all the songs.. but i LOVE my shuffle.. i change the music on it alot. it clips on to anything so i never have to worry.. but the shuffle you cant see what your playing.. only downside...

Andy in NY

Commander

Tashasdaddy, also consider the new Sony Walkman mp3 player. My outfit was just under $200, for mp3 player and fm transmitter for in the car. It's 4 gig, and really easy to use.

As for music, it was mentioned that you can easily rip your cd's to it, but you can also legally download from itunes for ANY mp3 player, not just an iPod. IMO, iPod is a great mp3 player, but is it REALLY worth that extra money? Probably not for the casual listener.

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, it depends on how you want the player to integrate to your system(s). I have a 2gb Ipod nano and my wife has a 4gb Nano. We both have aftermarket steros in our cars that control the Ipods so we basically have 250 songs+ available at any given time.

I have a Monster I-car Play on the boat so we can use either Ipod on the boat as well. Sirius came with the boat (and is controlled by the radio) but I am going to buy a Ipod controller for the boat. I want to be able to use the helm and transom remotes for Ipod track selection.

If I were you I would get the Ipod since there are many more after market accessories available for it. Try finding a Head unit that can control a Sansa.