Verifying my Tachometer settings

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander
Short story behind this question. I just got through installing a faria tachometer on my bass boat for my 1978 Evinrude 85hp model number 85950 I believe. I took this tachometer off of another bass boat hull I have out back. I had to replace the glass on the tach because the original was cracked. Tried to cut the glass myself but that didn't work to well. So I paid $2 at a local glass shop to have a piece cut out.

I hooked it up to my remote control wiring harness and made sure that it worked by running the motor on muffs before I drilled a hole in my console to mount it. Had the Johnson manual on hand while doing this. Nearly screwed up my wiring, I did screw up on my mounting location, it is not deep enough for the tachometer to sit in it hits the steering system. Didn't have much space to mount it otherwise, I figure I'll use a piece of plywood to hold the guage out away from the steering box in the back. Figured I would install it today and get it out of the way so I can test it this weekend when running under a load :). I just like hooking up the light for the tach by jumping a wire off of the speedometer light power wire, maybe I won't goof that up.

Right now the tach is set on 4 I believe. On to the question...What should it be set on?

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Verifying my Tachometer settings

Giving it a bump before this thread goes out of sight.

Randyg123

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 1975 135HP is set at six and I think six is common for that era. But I am not sure. Just thought I'd help keep your post near the top until someone who really knows for sure can answer:)

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Come on guys don't leave me hanging on this one, I have no idea where else to look for this info. Don't even know or recall what these different setting are for.

I wanna say that the setting should be 6 myself but I don't even want to take my word for it.

Thanks for the reply Randy.

Randyg123

Petty Officer 1st Class

Come on guys don't leave me hanging on this one, I have no idea where else to look for this info. Don't even know or recall what these different setting are for.

I wanna say that the setting should be 6 myself but I don't even want to take my word for it.

Thanks for the reply Randy.

Check out this link.
Not sure if this model tach applies but at least there is a listing of how many poles there are on your engine and thus what number to set your tach to.

http://www.maritim.no/pdf/2/Velg riktig turteller (utenbords).pdf

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

It says 12 poles for Evinurde, it also mentions. Am I supposed to devide that in half, which would be 6 after all?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Six, that's an echo.

72SideWinderSS

Petty Officer 1st Class

According to Faria's website, setting is Five for johnny/Rude on a 7000 or 8000 RPM Tach.

faria-instruments.com/downloads.php

Randyg123

Petty Officer 1st Class

According to Faria's website, setting is Five for johnny/Rude on a 7000 or 8000 RPM Tach.

faria-instruments.com/downloads.php

Weren't we talking about an 85HP?
Faria Application Sheet says:
10 Pole - "All 2 cylinders less than 70 HP"
12 Pole - "70 HP & greater, including sea drives"
And then lists several exceptions, none of which mention the 85HP

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I see what you mean. The chart does not even show a "6" position.

My Faria Sytem Check tachometer # 2423-70-11a has only the 5 or 6 pulse and the correct choice is 6 for all V4 systems.

I guess if you have a tach with only settings 1-5 you have to use that chart.

Attachments

• Faria Tach.JPG
    Faria Tach.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 0

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the input everybody. Yes I was talking about my 85hp :). I don't know why I said it was set on 4, it was set on 5.

The boat that I got the tach off of had signs of a Mercury motor being mounted on the transom at one time so I believe that is what the tach was set for.

While I was under the console hooking the wire up for the light I went and changed the setting to 6.

Just about got everything ready to go for the weekend, had to fix a leaky bead on my trailer tire. Moved the boat from where it was parked (tire was up), I moved it so I could vacume it out and I'll be darned if the tire wasn't flat when I walked out there this morning.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Had the tachometer set on six and took the boat out a few different times and it only showed 3000 at WOT. I set it back to 5 and kept forgetting to look at the tach, went on another trip and that is when my power pack went out.

I'm pretty sure my motor is running out at around 5000 rpms or higher, if it isn't I would like to see how it would act when set right then because it ran like a top before the power pack gave out. When running the motor with the one power pack out it showed 2500 rpm if not more when set on 5.

See I have the old 2 handle control installed in place of the newer control with the warm up lever because the newer control gave out. I was wondering if that old 2 handle control would give enough travel to make the throttle work correctly or in other words make the throttle open up all the way.