1987 170 HP Mercruiser...Cranks but doesn't Start

mcook5

Cadet
Hello,
I am very new to the boating world. I bought the manual for this engine, but have not taken the time to dive into yet. I wanted to get some pro advice first. I bought a 1987 Galaxy bowrider with a 170 Hp mercruiser I/O. It has been vaccum sealed and winterized for two straight years. I charged all the batteries and got the engine cranking, but I couldn't get it to turn over. The batteries started to smoke and one actually had its metal leads melt. What should be my next step, besides replacing the melted battery piece? Is it a spark plug thing or a distributor cap thing? I really appreciate anyone who can help me get my engine going for the summer time. Thanks
mcook5

mcook5

Cadet
170 HP Mercruiser I/O...it cranks but doesn't start...PLEASE HELP!

170 HP Mercruiser I/O...it cranks but doesn't start...PLEASE HELP!

Hello,
I am very new to the boating world. I bought the manual for this engine, but have not taken the time to dive into yet. I wanted to get some pro advice first. I bought a 1987 Galaxy bowrider with a 170 Hp mercruiser I/O. It has been vaccum sealed and winterized for two straight years. I charged all the batteries and got the engine cranking, but I couldn't get it to turn over. The batteries started to smoke and one actually had its metal leads melt. What should be my next step, besides replacing the melted battery piece? Is it a spark plug thing or a distributor cap thing? I really appreciate anyone who can help me get my engine going for the summer time. Thanks
mcook5

Re: 1987 170 HP Mercruiser...Cranks but doesn't Start

OK before you get ahead of what could be very simple heres what I would do. Make sure the battery connections are correct and fully charged. Then give it a 2 second shot of starting fluid directly into the carb/carbs and try to crank it(be 100% sure no KILL SWITCH is engaged)/ If it doesnt fire for a couple of seconds,,,,,,,then go to the ignition wires. primary and secondary and trace the circuit out..If it does crank and then cut off after a couple of seconds you will have to check the fuel supply/ clogged carbs etc.

mcook5

Cadet

ok thank you...please excuse my ignorance, but when you say primary and secondary, do you mean the wires behind the panel and the ones located where the engine are? Thanks for the input.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 170 HP Mercruiser I/O...it cranks but doesn't start...PLEASE HELP!

I bought the manual for this engine, but have not taken the time to dive into yet.

Ayuh,.....

It takes Fire, Fuel, Compression,... All at the right Time for a motor to Run.....

Use your Manual,+ Diagnose which 1 your Missing.......

The batteries started to smoke and one actually had its metal leads melt. What should be my next step, besides replacing the melted battery piece?

Ayuh,.....

That's caused by Too Much Resistence...... Remove. Sand, Clean,+ reinstall All of the Battery's Wires,... Both Wires,.. Both Ends......

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

hi there like b said get new batteries be sure they deep cycle batteries, if you have a battery switch check and be sure is in good condition check your battery cables be sure they the right gauge and the battery terminals too check them and be sure they clean and not corroted, pull 1 of the spark plug and check how look like if you replace the plugs be sure you get marine plugs, do the same with you spark plug wires, you can check if you getting spark disconnect the spark plug cable from the dist cap to the coil and make ground with it put it close to the engine block and crank the motor you will see if spark is coming out of the cable be carefull with any gas leak or even be sure your cable is not broke so you dont get the spark, if you have spark the next thing will be check if the engine timing is correct i used a automotive timing gun really easy to use, if Im you I will do a complete tune up that include the folowing parts batteries, spark plugs, dist cap, rotor, oil filter, motor oil not the coil at least that you know is bad, check prices at the marine store, check napa they have boat stuff, and look on internet for parts so you can save some money too.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You DO NOT want deep cycle batteries for starting batteries. House batteries require deep cycle. Starting batteries must be marine starting batteries. Just so you understand the terminology, and engine that turns over by the starter = cranks or turns over. An engine that turns over or cranks but doesn't start = cranks but doesn't start.

Maclin

Admiral

Do not crank for more than 10 seconds at a time, and wait 30 seconds or so between attempts, then a minute or more after 3-4 tries..

When was the last time the boat ran? Were you present? Can you ask the previous owner what to look for, like a kill switch or throttle lever trick?

Also need clarification on your terminology. Is the starter motor actually making the engine spin? "Cranking" and "Turning over" are the same thing in most usage, means the starter is spinning the engine around but the engine is not firing and running on it's own.

You need to check for spark as the first step. Then look for fuel. Look back thru the posts here and you will see a chart to follow.

Did I mention to not crank for more than 10 seconds at a time and let the starter cool down between attempts?

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Make sure your giving it gas. push the throttle only button when starting. go all the way forward to set choke then pull back to half way and start the engine..

Maclin

Admiral

There are two thread on this, need to get them merged.

mcook5

Cadet

I was not there two years ago when it was started. I do not see a kill switch, only the dial that switches between batteries. When I turn the key, I make the belt spin and the engine move as well. I am going to print the replies and go step by step.
-double check that there is no kill switch
-starting fluid
-fuel check
-carb clean out
-throttle button and choke
-try and start it with no more than a 10 second try
-wait 30-40 seconds to try again
is there anything I missed? or should not do?
Thanks for everyone's help. Sorry for having two threads.

Maclin

Admiral

I would omit any step involving starting fluid. First thing I would check is spark. Easy to do, and even starting fluid won't explode without spark.

You DO NOT want deep cycle batteries for starting batteries. House batteries require deep cycle. Starting batteries must be marine starting batteries. Just so you understand the terminology, and engine that turns over by the starter = cranks or turns over. An engine that turns over or cranks but doesn't start = cranks but doesn't start.

Just so I understand this correctly... The minimum battery requirements are 450CCA / 90 Ah.

I have put in an Everstart MAXX Marine Max29 875MCA / 205 Reserve Cap. Says it serves trolling, starting, etc. But since I am not running any electronic devices, I am supposing I should get a "Starting" Battery instead? After a full days boating, my last few starts are real load on the battery, and I am wondering if this is it?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Turn on the key switch and go to the coil and see if you have power, turn the motor over and check both sides for power if you do then. Replace points and condenser. The dwell should be 29-31 timing is 8-10 The battery should be a Starting battery a deep cycle is not for starting.A regular battery will charge back faster than a deep cycle. Jerry

kikroks

Cadet

ok this is your simple trouble shoot to see i9f it runs take a jumper wire and go directly to the batt positive and connect it to the coil then spray starting fluid in the carb not to much start with key give it no gas it should at least fire up for a couple seconds , defintly check your dist, points , wires, plugs if you get no fire from wut i told u to do