Confused...Why all the OMC bashing??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liquid_force

Petty Officer 1st Class
I can hardly find a thread in here that doesn't, at some point, include an under-handed OMC remark.

Where's all the bitterness come from?

I bought an '89 OMC 4.3 cobra in '03. We DID have to rebuild the lower gears early in our 2nd season, but I chalk that up to my ignorance, and poor maintenance of the drive/shift system by the previous owner. Otherwise - the engine, drive, and boat as a whole has been great. We do an ignition tune up every season and a half, change the engine and drive oil, and keep an eye on all the other routine maintenance items.
Power, fuel economy, everything...no complaints.

So spell it out for me.

douglee25

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Confused...Why all the OMC bashing??

I can hardly find a thread in here that doesn't, at some point, include an under-handed OMC remark.

I bought an '89 OMC 4.3 cobra in '03. We DID have to rebuild the lower gears early in our 2nd season, but I chalk that up to my ignorance, and poor maintenance of the drive/shift system by the previous owner. Otherwise - the engine, drive, and boat as a whole has been great. We do an ignition tune up every season and a half, change the engine and drive oil, and keep an eye on all the other routine maintenance items.

So spell it out for me.

They did have a bad rap due to the sticking lower shift cable/adjustment/ESA Switches. The King Cobras never had issues when they came out in the early 90's. Volvo eventually bought OMC out. Today Volvo's SX drive is basically an OMC King Cobra. Volvo today has an excellent track record.

Doug

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

And a GM engine in any boat powering any outdrive is still a GM engine so that's not the issue. It's the early drives that were the problem and as parts supplies dwindle, repairing them gets more complicated as well as expensive.

tommays

Admiral

There is a LONG line of OMC FUBAR going back to the old electric shift outboards as well as the FITCH Outboards that really killed them ,piled on a bunch of I/O problems

TilliamWe

Banned

It's spelled O-U-T O-F B-U-S-I-N-E-S-S.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

OMC = Obsolete Marine Corporation... :)

Seriously.... Even when they were in business they were put together like junk.

96lt4c4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a 3.0 liter OMC Cobra in a 88 Four Winns. Many years of fun, until I got a hole in the bellows and took out the gimbal bearing. That can happen to anyone though.

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

There OK, i have a 1987 Rinker V-180 with a Gm 4.3 V-6 OMC Cobra outdrive and it runs perfect, i bought it from the original owner and he took very good care of it.. i did put a new lower shift cable & throttle cable on it for preventive maintance.. (it was not shifting very good) other than that its a good setr-up.. if i were to buy a newer boat i would look for a Merc with a V-8.;)

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Very simple. OUT OF BUSINESS! almost 10 years at last count....

You're particularly screwed if you have an OMC 460 King Cobra with electronic ignition. (can't buy the module!!) Or an engine with electronic ignition from the early 90's...... The exhaust manifolds are no longer made and the coupler is not made by the original company (Lord) both are more than 2 to 3 times original cost and getting higher....uh....if you can find them..... These are 2 of the wear items most needed by boat owners.

It's not a reason to "bash" OMC. it's a reason to suggest avoiding OMC.

Cheers

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

I don't know if your speaking from personal experience or if this is directed at a particular section (Stringer, Cobra, Ficht or??) but I don't think it's a fair statement to the entire product line. IMHO

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The Cobra`s are far from junk.. very strong outdrive. :D

PINESOL

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ahh dont worry about it ,,, just enjoy your boat and take care of it ...
every product line out there has had problems at one point or another ...
this site has a ton of great boat mechanics.. all harping on the same things over and over .. out of business . parts getting harder to come bye . parts more expensive .. blah blah blah ..just enjoy your boat .. if its a mercury you came to the right place .. lord knows merc never messed up on anything .. :rolleyes:

whywhyzed

Banned

the problem with OMC is the owners.
They bought the boat CHEAP because of what it is, and they quite often cant really afford a boat, and they try to jerry rig stuff...
There's a couple guys around another message board (I think they are too scared to post here :) ) been wrenching on their stringer boats screwing stuff up for 3 years.... blowing up engines and stuff... and they keep posting for simple adjustment procedures because they are too bloody cheap to spend $30 on a service manual.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

It's true they made some products that were not perfected before they got sold, but some of what they built was good, if you have a good mechanic than can work on them, and you can still get the parts you need, there is nothing wrong with a Cobra. I woudn't advise some one to buy one now, with the supply of mechanics and parts declining, but I am in no hurry to get rid of mine. As long as I can get parts, and the mechanic can fix things I can't, I'll keep the Cobra.

THE BEEF

Chief Petty Officer

the problem with OMC is the owners.
They bought the boat CHEAP because of what it is, and they quite often cant really afford a boat, and they try to jerry rig stuff...
There's a couple guys around another message board (I think they are too scared to post here :) ) been wrenching on their stringer boats screwing stuff up for 3 years.... blowing up engines and stuff... and they keep posting for simple adjustment procedures because they are too bloody cheap to spend $30 on a service manual.

I bought a 800 stringer 3 years ago. Do the maintenance, use good synthetic
gear lube ( change it every year),Tune it up once in awhile and enjoy the ride.
No regrets.
Did tow in a Merc last year

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I'm not sure I would agree with that statement.....

The one I have went about 20 years with no real problems....

Coors

Captain

So spell it out for me.

Maintain it correctly, with a factory manual, you can get on ebay.
Parts are availible locally, usually; longest I had to wait was 2 days(1988 model)
The techs are retiring, but some have trained the young ones-Get the tools, and learn to fix it yourself. I still am running the original cobra lower- the upper went due to the idiot jack-leg that worked on it before I got it.
Enjoy your boat, just take care of it.

Look at it this way; there are more Mercs in the repair shop, than OMC's.

Gotta go, before the abuse starts.

rojoc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

88' Starcraft 21' offshore fisherman. Powered by a 5.0 OMC. Having not owned any other I/O, I feel this is a great powerplant. Being fairly capable with the help of an original manual, there is nothing I can not repair on this outdrive! It is designed well and with proper maintenance procedures will last many seasons. Parts have not been a problem at all and there is a vast source of info available. In my opinion it is unfortunate that this company is not building outdrives any longer. The cobra, again in my opinion, is a great outdrive!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Interesting statement considering many components are very similar to the current Volvo, especially the cone clutch models. I owned both a stringer and a Cobra and other than replacing shift cables, nothing really ever went wrong with the Cobra. Has Jason even worked on a Cobra would be my question.

I have a question for Jason. What would you rather own, a 4.3L Cobra or a 470 Mercruiser?

Status
Not open for further replies.