Hydro lock, what to do afterwards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pensacola

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Hydro lock, what to do afterwards?

OK its a new day. I checked and I am getting spark at each plug. No more water in the cylinders. But it still won't start. Before it died on the water it sputtered a little then died. We waited awhile and it started back up. Then it was sputtering and running junky. We were taking it real slow trying to make it in when it died again. Thats when I got the hydro lock. Now what?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Pour a few tablespoons full of gas down the carb, and see if it will fire up.

pensacola

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tried some starting fluid. Would that be as good or do i need to use gas?

Don S

NO !!!! Never use that stuff on your boat. Use gas.
But if that didn't work, then you don't have spark. I have to go back and read your posts again. Not sure where we are at anymore.

pensacola

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow ok. Well i just did the gas thing and still no help.
I pulled each plug out and set it on the block and seen spark when i tried to crank it.

Don S

Did you remember to hook your jumper wire up on the coil? (Post 12) then put some gas in it and try to start it.
BTW, we never did find out what year and SN engine you have.

Get a voltmeter and check your battery voltage.

Don S

One other thing you may need to do is pull the plugs again and dry them off. Like I said earlier, you might get the water out of the cylineders, but till you get it running, you will probably foul the plugs a few times so they won't fire.
The reasone I wanted you to check the battery voltage is if it's not spinning over fast enough, it won't start even if there was nothing wrong.

pensacola

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok its a 1999 bayliner. The serial # is 0L084499. I just dried the plugs out with a lighter and tried some more gas. It actually sputtered a little like it was going to start. So I must be getting closer.

Don S

You will also need to keep the throttle open a little more so it can run on 1 or 2 cylinders as it's drying out. You will never get it going trying to keep it at idle right to start with.
Feed it some more gas and give a little more throttle after you heat the plugs again. It'll go.

pensacola

Petty Officer 2nd Class

YES!!! we have ignition. I gave it some gas, more gas, and more drying and it fired up. Now do i hook the muffs up and run it.

Don S

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! NO WATER !!!!!

Now, run the engine for about 15 seconds. Shut it off and wait for about 15 minutes. Start it again and rev it up to about 12 to 1500 rpm and let it run another 15 to 20 seconds. It should idle and will make sure the water is gone out of the cylinders. Go, while it still wants to start.

pensacola

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes sir. thank you thats why i waited. When can i learn about the impeller?

Don S

Since this thread is so long now, might be a good idea to start a couple of new ones.
One for how to replace your impeller and why, along with another on how to find your water intrusion. It will be a lot easier to read that way and for me and other to answer without reading 30 some previous posts.

PS, by sticking with it and getting it running you just saved a couple thousand dollars ...... That's a good thing :D

bhammer

Ensign

Don, I keep saying you need to open up a paypal account and accept "donations" for all this free help. :D

Maclin

Admiral

Man, that was cool! like watching the old Saturday morning serial at the movies....very neat to "see" someone saving their engine like that.:D

Don S

It was a fun exercise for me. Never tried to start a wetted out boat before from 3,000 miles away by using a keyboard
Good thing he found the problem. This has been going on for a while, and in salt water. Why it still lives is beyound me now, but it does.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=236517

Very lucky man is all I can say. Doesn't need a new motor today.

pensacola

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yeah thank god I saved it. Now to find the water intrusion.
I did inform you that the problem from the thread you just referenced was from a aftermarket starter. Once I bought a oem starter it fixed that problem.

pensacola

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think i counted my blessings too soon. I tried to start it today and it was really loud turning over. Then it broke a starter bolt off in the block. I believe I am screwed even though it ran yesterday.

pensacola

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well we got it freed up and running good. Replaced the flaps, manifolds and risers. Now to the next problem.

obezag

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My wife watches soaps. This is my soap! Good luck pensacola. Go get 'em Don S.

Status
Not open for further replies.