88 SPL shifter shaft disconnect

sprintex

Seaman Apprentice
I am trying to change a water pump on a 1988 88 SPL. To disconnect the shifter shaft you remove the pin and pushed on the rod so it disconnects from the shaft. It seems I an unable to move it enough for it to come apart. The motor is in reverse, pin removed, I press on the bell-crank and it only moves a little before it hits against the block. It only goes in enough so the pin hole is almost flush with the boss that it goes through. I can see it moving in the shifter shaft it just will not slide out. I am about ready for the big hammer. Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 88 SPL shifter shaft disconnect

I know what your saying,try putting in neu.or forward .That may enable you to push the rod over more,.also try and get someone with a long screwdriver on opposite side to hold shift shaft from flexing over if it happens to be stuck.

sprintex

Seaman Apprentice

I have it in reverse as per Clymer, in forward you can't even move it. I'll try the screwdriver pushing the rod over. I was thinking that way. Thanks

sprintex

Seaman Apprentice

Well I ended up removing the shift cable assembly, that allowed me to move the lever in and off the shift rod. After a lot of wiggling the gear box came off. I was hoping to find the water pump all apart but it looks pretty good, so maybe this isn't why it is over heating.
So where do I look now?

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry,I just ASSumed you removed the cable first.On those 4 cyl.the thermostats often plug with debris ,they are located on bottom of rear of block,2 hoses connected to the housing that has 3 bolts holding in place.They can be a bear at times to get at.Usiong a 1/4 drive ratchet with flex head helps.I even saw a guy drill through the pan to get to them and getting rubber plugs found in those little drawers at good hardware stores to replug holes