not starting.

kayakn

Seaman Apprentice
the sea scouts have a 9.9 yamaha electric start that is no older than 10 years. it sat inside and upright for about a year. we put it on one of our sailboats and it would start and it ran for about five minutes and it would start to sputter and then shut off. then i tried it and it would not stay idle the only way it would keep going was if i put it in reverse and reved it as high as i could. then we got out of the dock after trying ten times to keep it running and it would only run for about 5 seconds then it just would not start at all. what could be the problem??
thanks, Kayakn

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: not starting.

could be excessive maint.
its a standard blow boat thing.
sorry but I hate working with blowboaters.
the atitude is"winds free everything else outta be"
that being said, clean the carb and use fresh fuel, if its a two stroke use 50/1 ratio.
also check the water pump and t-stat, they go bad just sitting and WILL fail.

kayakn

Seaman Apprentice

we don't use that motto. if i did then i would not own: a 38' luhrs, a 19' carolina skiff and two 2.5 horse power motors. how would the thermostat effect the starting?

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the thermostat was bad it could have allowed to engine to overheat and damage or warp some internal parts. Reving an engine as high as it can go does not fix the initial problem. If the engine is running lean due to some kind of fuel restriction that can do some serious damage. The first thing you need to do is get a genuine Yamaha service manual or bring the motor to someone who is familiar with this motor.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the thermostat of its own wont affect starting or running, however if it sat a year and stuck then it will cause an overheat and possibly a blown headgasket or a burned piston which WILL affect starting and idling.
which is why now, I would do a spark and compressions test, if its still ok then replace the water pump, replace the T-stat, rebuld the carb and fuel pump flush the lines and tank and go boating.
or simply make it run and it will be a short trip.
let me ask, would ya simply toss your luhs up on the beach for a year, then splash it and actually expect it to work ?
in fact I am working on a 28 Lurhs right now that is suffering excessive maint, only now I get to pull the engine.
same as the customer that called today with a 2003 2 stroke 150, hasnt run in over 2 years,
wants it running for under 250 dollars, we told him to call some of the local jacklegs cause we simply could not do it that cheap.
but it does keep me in a good income bracket and my horse in hay :)