Had to abandon ship! Won't start!

KnottyBuoyz

Senior Chief Petty Officer
1987 Sunray Mirage, Volvo Penta AQ271A w/290 DP OD.

Went for a lil' cruise upriver tonight like we usually do. Stopped to bbq some burgers. Went to restart, nothing. Never had this happen before.

First a few electrical gremlins seem to have inhabited the boat. On the way upriver couldn't get the drive to trim up. Down, yes, up, no. Weird. I tugged a few wires under the dash and it started working again. Weird.

It got too dark to see standing on my head in the bilge so we tied the boat up on the canal bank and called my Dad to pick us up.

So, by process of elimination I'm leaning towards starting at the engine controls maybe the problem with the trim is related to the neutral safety switch in the controller (which is only a yr old BTW). I can bypass the neutral safety to see if that's the issue, easy 'nuff. If that's not it then I'm thinking starter relay. That's easy to get at. I've got a spare to swap out. If that's not it then it's probably the starter solenoid. That's a PITA. I don't know if I can get the solenoid off the starter w/o removing the starter which means jacking up the engine. I might try to jump start it at the solenoid first.

Is there anything else I can check before trying to get the solenoid out?

crazylegs68

Cadet
Re: Had to abandon ship! Won't start!

just a thought but it sounds like your up limit trim switch might have some wiring issues or bad switch. I think that if you trim is up above a certain point it cuts out your starter am I right? and if it was already made like it was up to far then it wouldn't let it go up any more.
just a thought.
Ben

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think you need to start your search under the helm. If you can move some wires and things start working, I would guess you have some loose and/or corroded connections.

And NO, trim limit is NOT tied to starting, on way no how.

KnottyBuoyz

I think you need to start your search under the helm. If you can move some wires and things start working, I would guess you have some loose and/or corroded connections.

And NO, trim limit is NOT tied to starting, on way no how.
Thnx Don

A buggered ground is a likely candidate. I rewired most of the boat last year and there's no sign of massive corrosion but I'll check them all again. I used all tinned marine wire and double crimped and shrink wrapped and a dab of dialectric grease on every connection.

Can you get the solenoid off of a GM 350 starter w/o removing the starter?

Don S

No, you have to remove the starter to replace the solenoid, but what troubleshooting technique did you use to deterimint it was bad....... ? My guess is you want to throw money (parts) at it in hope of hitting on the problem.

Might want to try som of the tests in this thread:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167035

KnottyBuoyz

That's a good diagnostic guide Don, thnx.

I checked for voltage at the ignition switch when I turned the key to start. Had lots. Heard no click. Like your guide I headed for the engine compartment. I tightened the battery cables. Still no luck. Hit the main breaker reset and pulled the starter relay a few times to see if it was a dirty connection there. Nothing. I put the volt meter on the main feed to the solenoid, plenty of juice. I didn't try to jump start it because I lost the light and couldn't see.

I'll go back to the dash and follow through your troubleshooting guide tomorrow. Belive me R&R'ing the starter is the absolute last thing on this planet I'd choose to do!!

Thnx again.

KnottyBuoyz

Followed the diagnostic guide Don provided.

Step 1: Cleaned all the ground connections between battery and engine block.
Step 2: Checked voltage from ign switch start terminal, good 12.45 volts.
Step 3: Bypass neutral safety switch (ensuring lever in neutral) BINGO!

It's nice to have some logical steps to follow through the troubleshooting process. I had a similar approach thought out starting at the ign switch.

Thanks Don.

KnottyBuoyz

Tore the control apart, two little screws that hold the neutral safety switch had worked their way loose.

Good on ya Teleflex/Morse QC guys!

Don S

Good on ya Teleflex/Morse QC guys!

You have a gripe on a control that is over 20 years old?? Did you ever stop to think some other DIYer may have replaced that switch sometime in the past before you owned the boat ?????

KnottyBuoyz

You have a gripe on a control that is over 20 years old?? Did you ever stop to think some other DIYer may have replaced that switch sometime in the past before you owned the boat ?????
No it was brand new last yr. Used 5 hrs. Thought I mentioned that. Sorry.

PS. yup I did, in my first post.