I need help desperately!!!!!

bal31

Cadet
Me and my grandfather were just given a 1985 procraft1750 with an '85 150hp mariner. The boat is in rough condition but we are pretty good with fixing things and we are going to replace the flooring and carpet, sand it down and refinish it, patch a small hole in the hull, and few more odd and end things.

Our first priority though is to get the motor running....WE are not mechanics, but decent at working on stuff... This motor has been sitting for about 5 years....We pulled it home last weekend and hooked it up and got the motor to turn over with ease. We are gunna replace the plugs and wires, clean the carb, clean the whole fuel system (including the tank and possibly replace the hoses), replace the water pump and inspect the hoses. we were wondering what else we might need to take a look at motor wise....we wanted to check the compression, but we don't know what the compression should be so we don't know if it has good compression or not..

Could anyone help us out please!!!!!!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: I need help desperately!!!!!

The first thing you need is some patience, Bal. You posted this twice in just over an hour.

Go to the Engine FAQs and read up on awakening a sleeping outboard.

There is no spec on compression psi. You need all cylinders to be inside a 10-15% range, That is all.

j_martin

Admiral

That one tends to run about 120 psi.

Be sure the transom is sound. When that engine wakes up, it'll put quite a bit of strain on it.

hope it helps
John

bal31

Cadet

The transom is in god shape.....it has a nice jack plate on it.... I read that article..does anyone else have any sugestions????? I got 3 brand new batteries for free, and i got them charging up right now....

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class

It sure wouldn't hurt to spray a little M&M oil in each cylinder and let it sit for a few minutes to an hour before starting it since it has sat for 5 years. This would help ensure that if there are any sticky spots on the rings or cylinder walls, you won't end up with snapped rings or gouged cylinder walls. My guess is that it probably does have a little corrosion or rust in there and this would just keep bad things from happening. I've used M&M religiously on fully rusted valves on truck motors and left over night. The next day, they looked polished like they had been removed and idividually cleaned! I've been using it ever since with confidence and no bad results.

If it were mine, I would add just a little extra oil to the gas just for the first few gallons to, again ensure that everything meshes smoothly like it had never been sitting. If you're going thru the carbs, be extra careful not to accidently bump the needle valve components. They are a nightmare sometimes to get back in synch.

Good luck!​

3218dan

Seaman Apprentice

The transom is in god shape.....it has a nice jack plate on it.... I read that article..does anyone else have any sugestions????? I got 3 brand new batteries for free, and i got them charging up right now....
what ever you do don't run the motor untill you clean them carbs very good!!if your not carefull you could blow it up if one of the carbs gets stopped up..

mercuryman48

Seaman Apprentice

I would highly recommend changing lower unit impeller and gear oil...check prop seal also

3218dan

Seaman Apprentice

i agree with the m&m...and the extra oil in the gas...good luck...oh and make sure you replace all of the small gas lines going to the carbs..the hoses dry rot over time and you don't want all of the fresh gas to put old hose in your fresh rebuilt carbs

Ed R

Petty Officer 3rd Class

First things first, fuel,fuel,fuel! from tank to motor, replace lines primer bulb etc. the old fuel most likely destoryed them. The carbs should be cleaned, fuel pump,and hoses going to carbs. good luck ed

bal31

Cadet

Can anyone give me a very detailed description on how to clean the fuel system???

kennyboater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

replace all fuel lines, and get a manual and rebuild the carbs using a gasket kit. i bought both off of ebay

bal31

Cadet

how much would that cost....im on a low budget here and wanting to do everything as cheap as possible...I got $400 Worth of batteries given to me and seat deck mounts and poles that they sit on.....I got a scrap boat that the motor don't run to get anything off of i need such as bilge pumps and lights ect....

Ed R

Petty Officer 3rd Class

HEY your still up! OK, fuels today contain, alcohol and other additives that make [rubber , Orings ,gaskets, ] hard and brittle and lose there strength, through time. there are new materials out that can some what withstand this effect. Carbs should be disassembed and cleaned with [gumout or other type cleaner] ed r

82skeeterm

Cadet

Bal,

I have the same motor, my compression are anywhere from 118-120 psi in all 6 cyclinders.

bal31

Cadet

i really do thank all of yall for the help.... we are gunna start tearing into it on friday.......im sure i will have some more questions....let me know if there is anything else you would recommend

3218dan

Seaman Apprentice

it shouldn't take much cash to get these things just a lot of hours..keep in mind you can always sell parts from the motor your not going to use on ebay .you can part out a outboard for about 400 - 800

bal31

Cadet

Ok..So heres what is going on tomorrow evening and saturday morning...inspecting the lower unit and checking on the lube. Then inspect water pump(prolly just got ahead and replace it). remove spark plugs and squirt a little oil in them and then put new plugs in. clean up the carb and check out the enitre fuel system. Hook up batteries and ears for the water, and let her rip.(crossing our fingers hoping nothing tears up and that it will crank up.

Then our next problem is the trim...IT will trim up and down fine, but when it is trimmed up, it slowly goes back down over about an hours time. I am not sure what this is, whether it is a leak in a hyraulic line or bad seal. Any suggestions???

Then I have to patch a small hole in the side (fiberglass). any suggetsions?

Then have to replace the flooring. It has a fiberglass floor and the center part of it is cracked and has a hole. WE were going to cover it with marine grade plywood, and carpet it and then recarpet the rest of the boat to match. any sugeetsions???

I will try to put up some pics of it after this weekend. Im gunna do a before and after thing with it...thanks for all of your help!!!!

3218dan

Seaman Apprentice

Ok..So heres what is going on tomorrow evening and saturday morning...inspecting the lower unit and checking on the lube. Then inspect water pump(prolly just got ahead and replace it). remove spark plugs and squirt a little oil in them and then put new plugs in. clean up the carb and check out the enitre fuel system. Hook up batteries and ears for the water, and let her rip.(crossing our fingers hoping nothing tears up and that it will crank up.

Then our next problem is the trim...IT will trim up and down fine, but when it is trimmed up, it slowly goes back down over about an hours time. I am not sure what this is, whether it is a leak in a hyraulic line or bad seal. Any suggestions???

Then I have to patch a small hole in the side (fiberglass). any suggetsions?

Then have to replace the flooring. It has a fiberglass floor and the center part of it is cracked and has a hole. WE were going to cover it with marine grade plywood, and carpet it and then recarpet the rest of the boat to match. any sugeetsions???

I will try to put up some pics of it after this weekend. Im gunna do a before and after thing with it...thanks for all of your help!!!!
fiberglass can be a pain..just take your time and use small amounts of resin,it may take 6-12 coats..don't get in a hurry..when you pull up your floor look at your stringers very good for rot..if they brake your boat has no strenght..not good in tuff seas...you can sink her,i found out the hard way..good luck

Ed R

Petty Officer 3rd Class

HEY! sounds like the manual release valve on trim pump I need serial # off motor to know what design it is.

bal31

Cadet

Today 03:49 PM
Ed R HEY! sounds like the manual release valve on trim pump I need serial # off motor to know what design it is.

I will get the serial number this weekend and post it....Im away in college and i will be going in this weekend to work on it...Thanks man

3218dan fiberglass can be a pain..just take your time and use small amounts of resin,it may take 6-12 coats..don't get in a hurry..when you pull up your floor look at your stringers very good for rot..if they brake your boat has no strenght..not good in tuff seas...you can sink her,i found out the hard way..good luck

So you are recomending pulling up all of the floor and replacing it with plywood????