Need input on Island Hopper 2hp 4 stoke Outboards

sdunham

Recruit
Looking for a reasonably priced outboard for my 9' single man pontoon. Used a Minnkota Electric Trolling motor this past weekend and while it worked OK at the start, it wasn't cutting it by days end ( battery died ) and in order to get enough battery capacity out of a marine battery, I'd need a huge, heavy battery... My pontoon capacity is only 400 lbs. with me and gear so using a 75 lb. marine battery is not very efficient... Also used a Honda BF-2D 4 stroke 2 hp outboard. That was the ticket but they are impossible to find here in Colorado and pricey at $829.00 and up... Anyone have any input about the Island Hopper 2 horse 4 stroke outboards....? Price is about right and features are good enough for what I need it to do... Pontoon is used exclusively for Trout and Pike fishing in the Colorado high mountain resevoirs on extended camping weekends... My transom height is about 20" so I know I need a long shaft...

tommays

Admiral
Re: Need input on Island Hopper 2hp 4 stoke Outboards

The name brands may be pricy BUT the island looks like a prop on a weedwacker :eek:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

looked at the reviews, all said they were noisey.

sdunham

Recruit

looked at the reviews, all said they were noisey.

I read some reviews on another site that never mentioned 'noisy'... Where'd you read the reviews you mention above..?

Drowned Rat

Captain

I'm sure they are all the things you don't really want in an outboard except inexpensive, light, and adequate hp. I assume you have one of those personal fishing pontoon rafts and if that's the case, this is probably all you need.

*edit* Well, after looking at that motor, it's not really THAT inexpensive. I'd have to save a few more $$ and spring for the Honda which will last for the rest of your life.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Looking for a reasonably priced outboard for my 9' single man pontoon. Used a Minnkota Electric Trolling motor this past weekend and while it worked OK at the start, it wasn't cutting it by days end ( battery died ) and in order to get enough battery capacity out of a marine battery, I'd need a huge, heavy battery... My pontoon capacity is only 400 lbs. with me and gear so using a 75 lb. marine battery is not very efficient... Also used a Honda BF-2D 4 stroke 2 hp outboard. That was the ticket but they are impossible to find here in Colorado and pricey at $829.00 and up... Anyone have any input about the Island Hopper 2 horse 4 stroke outboards....? Price is about right and features are good enough for what I need it to do... Pontoon is used exclusively for Trout and Pike fishing in the Colorado high mountain resevoirs on extended camping weekends... My transom height is about 20" so I know I need a long shaft...

Get yourself a Trojan 30 XHS true deep cycle battery.about 50 lbs.
about $150 dollars I don't think you will have any range probems.

musttroll

Recruit

Hello

I own an island hopper for 3 years and it's the 4 cycle 2hp, I can attest to its surprising performance. I can tell you that it runs as quiet as my old cruise n carry.

Much respect for the guy with the earlier post, i don't want to make enemies on this forum, but I have to say my piece, I don't think he knows what he's talking about nor did he read up on it, just likes to talk smart, calling it a weed eater when it aint, yeh you see the lower unit and think you got it figured out, now you can trash it to make yourself sound important.

Now how many 4 cycle 58cc weed eaters have you seen or held in your hand? none, cause they don't make them, they're too heavy and too powerful to hold in your hands for hours. I know cause I own a lawn mower service and in business 35years.

I am defending this jewel of an outboard, because it's getting a bad rap by someone who knows nothing about it, and I like the sales people of Island hopper, cause they spent several hours over at least 6 phone calls that I made to them asking them the usual questions about their motor before I bought it, and even after I got it, I called them to make sure I was doing things right, not once were they impatient with me.

I , like everyone else look forward to reading fishing and boating forums for entertainment and information from trusting members and sure hate to read important information that I can make or alter my decison when making a purchase or trying a new method, to learn latter that it just useless bull###t.

Enough ranting, now about this motor, I made a sound check and it puts out 89db two feet from the muffler and 83 db at nine feet
I get about hour and 20 minutes of running on one tank full which is about 34oz at trolling speed.
My GPS tells me at full throttle I am at 5mph and 2mph at mid speed that's the orange locking button trolling.
I use 71/2 oz of synthetic oil in the crank case, cause if I put more, she'll spit out the difference from the breather hose.
I change the oil every 20 hours of running time.
Weight 20lbs 2oz on my bathroom electronic scale.
when I lay her down in my truck, I make sure she lays on gas tank side.
I own a 14ft town and country canoe and when loaded it weighs around 450lbs.
I use premium gas and when not using it over the winter I add about 2 spoon full of stabil to prevent carburetor problems.
I go fishing in lakes mostly,and when on vacation, I head south TX area and I use it in salt water, now the propeller will lock up if I left it to dry without hosing it, so I carry a can of wd40 and spray around and behind the propeller if I can't hose it off, and that's a tiny price to pay to keep it running good.
Please feel free to contact me about that motor.

CATransplant

Admiral

Actually, several companies make 4-stroke weed eaters.

For me, the problem is the price of these things. Lots of other options for the same money.