Buying a used boat, what to look for?

fortyfreak9

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey everyone, well I am not sure if you remember my other post about if anyone knew the make/model of that bass boat I posted, but I figured it out and went and took a look at it this moring. It is a 1989 Kingfisher 18'. The only boat I have owned is a 14' aluminum with a 8 HP Evinrude and really dont know a whole lot about them. So what kind of things should I look for that someone like me wouldnt normally notice. I have seen a few posts about rotten transoms ect, what else could there be? Thanks All.

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Buying a used boat, what to look for?

Soft spots in the floor,making sure the engine is the right size(could be an ins issue later) welcome to Iboats. Jim

fortyfreak9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The motor is a 115 HP Yamaha. The previous owner, before the guy that owns it now, never used the boat, sat for 6+ years.

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey,

I made one bad buy, made a better one the second time. There is no such thng as a perfect used boat.

What i would do different...assuming you are looking at a older boat...more than 3 years.

Jump up and down on the floor. If it falls off the trailer, your done. It the floor gives in any way (like al trampoline), you are gonna have problems. What type of gas tank does it have, stalnless is best, fiberglass is bad (ethanol will eat it up).

Check the coast guard requried plate, what is the max hp allowed on that boat, if the motor is too big, control issues (and cg issues). If motor is under powered, control issues, more so with your 3 overweight friends aboard. And uses more fuel to move at a good clip.

Actually crawl up and put your head into the center of the console, how are the wires ? A rats net of taped, wirenut connections ? Any sign of rust and you want to redo the whole thing.

Don't buy unless you can test drive, period. Observe how it idle's, wake speed and how it runs at constant higher rpm. Just like a car motor, it takes little to make it start, must be much more solid to keep running smooth at a constant high and low rpm. And running 3 miles at wide open.

With out the motor running, how do the controls feel. Should be a bit stiff, loose is worse, but should move back and forth with the button pushed in. Does the steering turn easy, does the tilt work ?

If you can, find a experienced marine mechanic to check out the motor and controls. Compression, lower unit gears and impeller.

I have spent over 10k learning what i should have ask, just to get a good 20 ft boat that i can keep for a long while.

I should have found a good marine shop and let them keep it for 3 days to check it out before I bought it. $500 now is alot cheaper that $5000 later.

Good Luck.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Buying a boat

1st you need to decide what you want to use it for, fishing, cruising, or water sports.

2nd how many people adults, children you want on board of the average outing.

3rd outboard, inboard-outboard, or inboard power plant.

4th Budget, what you want to pay, and what you are willing to pay, when you find
Exactly what you want.

You can hire a marine surveyor, to inspect the boat, or you can do it yourself.

You are mainly looking for soft spots in the deck, transom, cracks, all signs of a rotten, under frame.

The motor should be clean, no spots where the paint is discolored, or pealing from heat, having run hot. (This part for outboard motors Compression should be atleast 100psi, and within 10% of each other,)
Spark on all cylinders, good pee stream, check lower unit for water in oil.

The overall condition of the boat will tell you a lot, as to how it has been maintained.

A 30 year old boat motor combo, may be in better condition, than a 3 year old.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

This is the one the guy was using for a storage bin?
That is actually good because he wasn't putting hours on it and it was stored inside.
The first thing I would do is stand on the motor and bounce(don't jump) to see if the transom moves, if the transom is weak the rest of the boat is probly worse.
Ask around and find a marina someone has actually used and trusts and have them go over the boat,as phwrd said it is alot better to spend afew extra $ now than alot later.
I like the Yamaha, they are a very good motor.
If everything checks out it sounds like you found a really nice low hour boat, good luck.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if it has been sitting up for a while, do the water pump, impeller will be dry, and probably fail.

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The fact that the boat has been sitting for a long time is a mixed bag. Mechanical wear and tear is limited, but time is a killer in 2 cycle motors. Electrical systems are particularly susceptible as well as fuel system, from the tank to the carbs.

Other posters have given you great advice on what to look for; just don't fall in love with the boat and decide that you can't live without it. It will cost you money. (google, marriage):D

fortyfreak9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

5150abf yes it is that boat you are thinking of, the boat is a 1989 Kingfisher XL 179 with a 1989-90 yamaha 115 outboard. The the guy has multiple boats and seems very knowledgable about them. He took it out last summer and said it ran great. Looking at it, it looks like it is in good shape and I believe it has been stored uncover for the life of it. Thanks for all the replies and any information and advice you have is great. Thanks all.