No spark

Nospark1

Cadet
I have a 1999 force 120 4 cyl. I have no spark on #1 and #2 spark plugs. I swapped the wires coming from the stator white/green and green/white and still no spark. I swapped the power packs around put # 1 & 2 on 3 and 4 and still no spark on the new #1 and 2. I am really lost at this one. Could it be the trigger I am new to working on outboards. I can airplanes just not outboards. Anyways. I have also checked all the wiring on each power pack/ spark plug and they all match up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also each spark plug has its own power pack. 1 and 2 and tied to together with the white/ green and 3 and 4 is tied with the green/white. Thats why i am baffled because I've swapped the white/green and the green/white and tested it; then the power packs around and its still the same. I've even altered the power packs thinking that one my be causing the problem but still no luck.

Nospark1

Cadet
Re: No spark

I also replace the spark plugs at the begining when the motor started acting up.

maxum247

Lieutenant

I beleive your saying after swapping packs, 3&4 didn't fire (bottom two cylinders what you call the new 1&2).

1&2 now fired (top two cylinders?) Sounds like a bad CD module if that's the case, there's a post here recently that will give you specifics on cylinder or cylinders not firing.

Nospark1

Cadet

Thanks for the help, but thats not what I meant; I took 3 and 4 power packs and put them on 1 and 2. I still had no fire in the number 1 and 2 cyl.

maxum247

Lieutenant

Use the search tool at the top of the page and type in trigger or stator and click on go, there should be some things there that will be helpful! Good Luck! Hope this helps! Max!

Nospark1

Cadet

O.K. I'm going to try and replace the trigger; I'll let all of you know how it goes.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

BEFORE YOU BUY THAT TRIGGER, read the CDI Troubleshooting Guide.

No return on electrical parts!!!!!!

Follow the steps outlined in the CDI Guide, trust it, it WILL save you money on NOT BUYING the wrong parts.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Before you replace anything.Buy a peak reading volt meter and the Merc/Force shop manual. Then do the electrical test that are listed in the book.
If you start to replace things you might replace all of it just find the magnet in the flywheel slipped.Do a good test on the stator.Jerry