Force L drive help

Wrenchjunkie

Cadet
Ok I got a free boat. It's a bayliner capri with a 85hp force L drive.
I have read the threads about the L drives being not so great.
and also ones where folks had them were running them and they
just need attention paid to the upkeep of the motor.

This is my first boat Being free it needs work. I am no stranger to mechanical
work. and have rebuilt several cars,farm tractors, motorcycles, and a few smaller outboards.

but I have a couple questions.

1. What repair manual should I buy. Will the clymer manual covering the L drives provide me with the information I need?

2. The drive and exhaust bellows on the L drive look degraded where would I find replacements. and what other parts should be checked that I may not know about

Thanks in advance

WJ

maxum247

Lieutenant
Re: Force L drive help

My Clymer manual covers 4-150HP 1984-1999 and includes L-Drives so you should be fine. It covers the L-Drive Lower Assembly and Exhaust System as well.

gjm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

parts here at iboats.com or www.dollaroffshore.com/mercury.html Change water impeller, change lower unit gearcase oil, fuel pump and spark plugs to start. Clymer mamual is the one most people suggest to get

Wrenchjunkie

Cadet

Thank you both maxum247 and gjm

Found the parts at doller offshore.

Where would parts be located at here on iboats?

WJ

Marcq

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would not invest one penny on that boat, my friend did that mistake, thought he made a good deal, boat was in mint condition but with a problem with the L-drive, took him six months to find the part he needed in California, then once back running, mistake 2, instead of selling it while it was in running condition decided to keep it a bit longer, two months later it broke down again, his boat is now worthless a 1992 Capri in mint condition but with a problem with the L-drive :rolleyes:

Another poor owner :(
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990...P-TRAILER_W0QQitemZ140227627805QQcmdZViewItem

Marc..

gjm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

what year is the motor? Alot of people are nasayers of force motors. If your good with wrenches and can aford the time and parts, they are not much differant from other motors. Once running and maintanance done, they work just fine. Just go and look in the other motor forums and see the same questions being asked to keep them running. As for I boat parts, just go to the marine store. Under the iboat.com logo, top left of the page. If you can't find what your looking for, there is a place you can e-mail them with questions and they will get back to you.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Before putting any money into your L drive.Do a search here on the forum on L drives.The 85 hp is somewhat under powered.Also check the hull for rot or weak spots in floor bottom etc.carefully check the bottom for any defects,hooks or bulges.The L drive hull doesn't lend itself to conversion to other I/Os or an outboard.There are some that run them but even the Force fans stay away.Good Luck.

Wrenchjunkie

Cadet

gjm I am more than good with wrenches. I also have a small home machine shop.

If a part fails that isn't electrical I can probably make a replacement if I can't find one. I am Very mechanically inclined. I have seen the force L drive posts and seems to me that if you keep religious maint scheduel they aren't much
different from any other motor. They sure aren't as complex as some of the motorcycle drivelines I have torn down. Hard to find parts are common for me
just like lookin for bike or tractor parts that are no longer manufactured.

Motor is an 85ld9a I Doubt it has many hours on it. motor compartment is the cleanest part of the boat.

WJ

Marcq

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well WJ, go for it, but you have been warned ;)

Good luck
Marc..

Bigprairie1

Commander

Go for it Wrench. If you are good with the challenge...what the heck. A couple of guys (at least?) are using those L-drives with good results. The 2stroke motor is quicker out of the hole than some equivalent 4 stroke i/o's according to them....makes sense.
That said, when you get it all together and out there spend some time on ebay perhaps getting some likely spare parts....always a good idea.
It would (will?) be interesting to have one more L-driver out there to offer an alternative opinion to this much maligned units.
All good.:)
BP

Marcq

Petty Officer 1st Class

That said, when you get it all together and out there spend some time on ebay perhaps getting some likely spare parts....always a good idea.
All good.:)
BP
Good advice, keep your eyes open

It would (will?) be interesting to have one more L-driver out there to offer an alternative opinion to this much maligned units.
That's the thing, not to many around

Marc..

Good luck

Marc..

gjm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like you are set up very good to attack the motor. With your own little machine shop, you might even be able to make some extra cash by making hard to find replacment parts for some of us iboaters. So, go for it and keep us informed of your progress. Good luck