Okay more probles...

BIGSTRIPER80

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Okay more probles...

UPDATE 3

Okay - it's been a few days since I was able to get out and work on the pain in the ***.

Good news, I put a fresh charge on the battery and was able to get the motor to fire up!!!! It ran for about 3 minutes and seemed to idle fine. It finally died out and I wasn't able to get it refired.

Bad news, pulled the plugs and found fresh water in cylinders 6,4,2 left side only. I also checked the dipstick and water wasn't going pass the rings or in the blocks and wasn't mixing in with the oil, it was just at the top of the cylinders which I think is a good thing. So obviously, I beleive I have a leak somewhere in the mainfold riser area on that side. Anyone have any guesses? Where I should check first?

I felt like I might be able to save the motor and I am learning a lot as I go. So thanks for all of your help.

Andrew

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like you have a bad riser, manifold, or gasket surface between the two. Drain the manifold, pull all the spark plugs and crank the engine over and get the water out of the cylinders.
Dry off the spark plugs and fire the engine up for a few seconds so you know it will run.
Pull the drive (so you don't destroy the raw water pump impeller and housing.
Start the engine up with no water to it. and squirt fogging oil or even regular engine oil into the carb. Don't run it more than 20 to 30 seconds or you will burn up the exhaust hoses. You just want to get some oil in the works and water burned off.
NOW, engine is fine till you get back to it. while you work on your exhaust manifolds and risers.

willykaye22

Recruit

Hi Guys - 87 Stingray with 2.3 OMC. 4cyclinder. I am sitting up here in Connecticut and I have a similar story. Last week I started the boat for the first time...a little grindy at first but I got it start ed and ran it for 20 minutes. Turned it off and couldnt start it....just clicking.
Tried again a couple times but just clicks and an occasional sound of the starter straining. So I replaced the battery, same problem. Then I replaced the starter with a rebuilt one and got the same problem. I tested the starter before I put it on and it worked. Then I read all the posts. I took out all the plugs, spayed in a lot of WD-40 and let it sit, then I tried it. Nothing just the same clicking noise (relay switch right?) I put the boat in gear and went down and rotated the propeller manually. I got it to turn once. Then I tried it again - nothing just clicks. Then I turned on my volvo 240 and jumped it and it still didnt start. I didnt see water spurting out of the spark plug holes, but the side of the engine is a little moist. I wasnt sure why so I wiped it off the best I could and then blew on it with my leaf blower until it looked dry. The moisture could have been the WD-40 or a little water or more likely a little of both. Should I give up now? Is there anything else I can try??

Attachments

• IMG_0160.JPG
    IMG_0160.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 0

BIGSTRIPER80

Seaman Apprentice

DON,

Thanks for the adivce. I did take the plugs before hand and kept turning the motor over until almost all the water was out (couldn't see anymore come out). I squireted WD-40 in there.

Question, since it ran for about 2mins did the motor get fresh oil circulated since that was my biggest concern from the first time i got water in there?

I will get it running and get more oil in there. What is easier to fix? The riser or the manifold?

Don S

Run it again, and put oil in like I said. You have water in it again. and you will get rust in your cylinders very soon. Even with the WD in there. But you don't want to run it with the hose on or you will just put water in it again.
Save the engine, then take the risers off the engine and take some pictures and post them.

Don S

Willykaye22

Start a new thread with your question, don't hijack someone elses questions with yours.
It also get's real confussing as to who is answers who.

BIGSTRIPER80

Seaman Apprentice

Don,

Saw this center riser for sale on ebay, comes with both gaskets for the manifold and for the elbow. Part#s #99746A3, #99746A8 and says it will work for 4.3's 86-90something, just wanted to check with this board since you all know more than most before I purchase. I will post picture before I buy but wanted to see if these would fit my 88 4.3 12bolt.

Don S

DO NOT buy used parts, unless you are talking about good used manifolds and risers for BOTH sides. Not just one riser, or you will have problems for ever.

BIGSTRIPER80

Seaman Apprentice

Don,

I think they are new, I am guessing, I should do both sides?

Don S

Yes, Do both sides. Otherwise, the old side will suddenly be overheating. Water follows the path of least resistance. You put a brand new on one side, and the old, corroded almost full one on the other side and it will get very little water flow. Plus, you would always be fighting one side or the other.

BIGSTRIPER80

Seaman Apprentice

Okay Don,

Took off the riser and man what a mess. Completely rusted on the inside and the manifold had a lot of rust. I didn't even see a gasket connecting the riser to the manifold. This I beleive was for sure a main source of water going into the motor. I am worried as it has looked like water has been leaking for awhile. Please let me know your thoughts.

Also, the bad news, I was attempting to remove the manifold to look for any cracks in the block and the last 3 bolts toward the rear of the manifold had been rusted and locked into the block. THe last bolt is rusted so bad it doesn't even have a head to get it off. Now the other problem as you can see from the pcitures two of the bolts broke in the block... not good. I mean these things were in there and there was no way they were coming out. Not sure what my options are now. Has anyone delt with this issue before. I need to replace the manifold from what I can tell.

I attempted to use photobucket for these photos so let me know if the link works. I think you can just cut and past the link.

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm319/abbbear2/

Thanks.

Anyway, I am going to try an post pictures so take a look and let me know what my options are and your thoughts.

Don S

The risers are toast, the manifolds actually have a layer of graphite gasket still on them. I would say your exhaust system is on it's last leg. If it was my boat, it would get all new manifolds and risers.

Try a set of these for getting those rusty bolts out. I bought some and couldn't live without them.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00952166000P

If that doesn't work, pulling the engine and using a cutting torch to burn the heads off will.

BIGSTRIPER80

Seaman Apprentice

Don,

Thanks for the reply. Check out this photo as the tips of the two bolts are still in the block. What are your suggestions. Also, would you guess this is the main source of water in the cylinders.

Thanks

BIGSTRIPER80

Seaman Apprentice

Don,

Sorry couldn't post it seperatly so i updated my link and you wll see them.

Don S

Forgot the pictures/link, didn't you :D

Don S

Get a set of those Bolt out things and get the rest out.

Brokenbolts.jpg

BIGSTRIPER80

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah click back on the photobucket link... should be the firrst pic