Okay more probles...

BIGSTRIPER80

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Okay more probles...

Well, I figure that will be the final straw. But I would like to try and fix/solve this on my own (if possible) Should I remove the heads to inspect the cylinders. Or try and fire it up again to see if it will run?

Thanks.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Well, I figure that will be the final straw. But I would like to try and fix/solve this on my own (if possible) Should I remove the heads to inspect the cylinders. Or try and fire it up again to see if it will run?

Thanks.

Start the engine (if you can) and bring it up to operating temp. Make sure you have the muffs on it. Shut it down and check the oil. If it checks OK pull the plugs and run a compression check. That should indicate if there is any rust damage. Good luck.

BIGSTRIPER80

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the input. I will try and get her fired up and hope for the best at this point. If it is bad, I have been wanting to learn how to rebuild a motor so this may be a good starting point. I also may look for an 88 S10 motor to swap in there since I don't have a ton of money to put into it for a new merc.

paulrfrancisco

Petty Officer 1st Class

Shouldn't he be safe and do a compression check first incase he's taking in water through the head gasket or other location? If the compression is good they try to start it, but is #6 has no or low compression, then pop the head and inspect the gasket?

paulrfrancisco

Petty Officer 1st Class

unless, of course, the water came in through the carb when it rained. but better to be safe than sorry

BIGSTRIPER80

Seaman Apprentice

With #6 being full of water, is that a common issue to have water come in through the head gasket?

BIGSTRIPER80

Seaman Apprentice

Guys - just found a really good deal on a used merc 3.7 whole motor. Ready to drop in. My boat we have been discussing is a 19' Renken cuddy. A. will this motor fit with the alpha 1 i have now and B. how much slower will it be if I have to replace my 4.3 if the block is cracked?

BIGSTRIPER80

Seaman Apprentice

Update,

Okay - after taking out the plugs, getting water to come out of cylinder 6, and changing the oil I went back out to get the motor started and it turned over but it won't fire up. Still sort of a slow turn over but it is making a full rotation. I poured some gas in the carb to help and some smoke came out but that's it. Anyway any ideas to trouble shoot next? I need to do a compression test but I will have to go to the auto parts store. Man I hope the internals aren't shot.

THanks for your help.

Coors

Captain

Is it spinning over as fast as it used to?
Has the starter slowed down? does the battery have 12.5 volts?
Check the battery first, if the starter is slower than it used to be...wet
Maybe not spinning it fast enough to start.

BIGSTRIPER80

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah I think it is a bit slower than before. I put a fresh charge on the battery tonight so I will try and restart tommorow. Hopefully I can tell. Also one more thing I forgot to mention is as soon as I will let off the starter, it would spin freely at a high rpm or at least there was a sound of it spinning. Any thoughts to that? Could there still be substatial resistance in the block?

Thanks,

Coors

Captain

sounds like the starter got immersed.
You mean the bendix kicks out, and the starter is still spinning full speed?
That sounds like a solenoid is sticking, also.
How wet did everything get?

BIGSTRIPER80

Seaman Apprentice

Coors,

Thanks for the replies. I think it got very wet. I am not sure how much but the oil had a lot of water in it. The issue I have now is I don't have a ton of cash to spend so I am attempting to step up and learn how to fix things since the Merc mechanic cost a ton and boating is not a cheap hobby unless you can work on it yourself. I think there was water up to the oil pan and yes the starter could have been under water. I didn't get a chance to fire the motor back up tonight but I will do it tommorow and we may be able to trouble shoot some more. Sounds like I might need a starter as well. What soleniod are you refering too?

Also, if the motor is turning over that doesn't mean it's shot yet correct?

Thanks I hope we can get it running.

Andrew

BIGSTRIPER80

Seaman Apprentice

Give me the bad news, what does it mean if the starter spins freely for a sec after i let up on the ignition?

Coors

Captain

Hard to visualize; maybe you just hear it know, because the sound of a running engine drowned it out before. Still, starter immersed, will strand you sooner or later.

soler

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,..... I Agree,..... An Automotive Starter is a Bomb waiting to Blow......

Fill me in on this. What makes an auto starter a bomb waiting to happen. I haven't heard of that one. Just curious and still learning a few things myself. Thanks

SOLER

Bondo

Staff member

Fill me in on this. What makes an auto starter a bomb waiting to happen. I haven't heard of that one. Just curious and still learning a few things myself. Thanks

SOLER

Ayuh,.....

Gasoline Fumes are heavier than Air,.. They sink into the Bilge.....
An Automotive Starter has No Spark Shielding,....

A small Gas Leak,+ a Spark from an automotive Starter,....

Equals a Big BOOM......