Slips

pakrz

Cadet
For the past two years, we have trailered our Tahoe 215 back and forth to the lake (Several times a week). We grew tired of continuously towing the boat and decided to get a slip this year.

My question is: Is there anything different that I need to do now that the boat is going to be left in the water all summer? Any special instructions or helpful hints you guys can offer up would be much appreciated.

I am having my "trailerable" cover converted to one that snaps on.

Finally, I am aware that I will have water stains on the fiberglass bottom. I assume there are products/procedures out there to help remove them at the end of the season?

Thanks a ton!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Slips

You should check with the locals to see if you need antifouling paint.

erikgreen

Captain

A few things to keep in mind:

1) Make sure you have an operating automatic bilge pump, along with a siren or alarm that will warn of high water level (considerably above the bilge pump level). Ideally have a shore power hookup to power the bilge pump continuously from something other than your battery.

2) Watch for electrolysis

3) Consider your boat's bottom - is it painted? If it doesn't have ablative paint but has other paint, expect it to blister and peel.

4) Is this in saltwater, or fresh(guessing fresh)? Big difference from a corrosion standpoint.

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

I am assuming that your Tahoe is I/O. If more than 2 years old, I would get the exhaust bellows, ds bellows and shift cable seal at least checked if not replaced for mental insurance. I would also install a second bilge pump to run off of a separate source than the first.

Bamboo

Seaman

If rack storage is an option at your lake, that might be worth considering. It's the best of both (no towing hassles, instant access, and the boat is only in the water when you are using it). If not be sure to check for leaks from the bellows, shift cable, and other below water through hulls as stated above.

For removing the stains, usually "Sno-Bowl" toilet bowl cleaner works pretty well and is cheap. If you need bottom paint, be aware that it will probably affect the resale value of a "trailer-able" boat like your Tahoe.

Last edited:

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I made the same decision for last season and was very glad i did. We went out more often because of "No-hassle factor" of just getting on, warming it up a few minutes then off we go. I still trailered a few times to other lakes but not much. When I did have it out I cleaned the bottom with a good pressure wash which is all I needed.

Now, if I had a NEW boat, i mught have been coincerned about any damage to the bottom gelcoat and some bumps and bruisses on the boat from the dock/fenders.

I think a slip with a hoist is the way to go! Better than the "rack" storage because you're still on your own schedule. Gets out of the water and can have a cover. I'm waaaay to cheap to buy one new so i'm watching craigslist, ebay (local only) for someone looking to practically give theirs away to someone willing to haul it out for them. I was just late on one the other day.

Of course, some marinas don't let you put your own hoist in, mine will allow me to bring mine but they put it in and out....for a reasonable fee, or i can add $600 to the yearly (seasonal) slip rental and use one of theirs.

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

Just for another viewpoint... we put our boats in fresh water around May and take them out in late Sept. No bottom paint needed. In the fall, use Oxalic acid, aka Slimey Grimey to clear the brown algae growth off. Yes to a working bilge pump - you'd want that anywhere. Attach fenders to both sides to keep dings and scrape to a minimum. Enjoy!

BamaAlum97

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd rent a slip that has a hydrohoist with it...it cost more, but it is well worth it.

Cptkid570

Ensign

Just another thought.. If your marina has a boat ramp, you could see if they have a storage place where you leave it on the trailer (you'd have to drive your tow vehicle to the lake still). Or, look for somewhere close to your ramp that has a boat/rv storage lot and pay to leave your boat there. It's a lot cheaper than a slip and you'd still save on most of your towing.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.......

Or Really go Overboard like I did,....
And Buy a couple of houses On the Water.........:rolleyes:

100' of dockage for $1000.@ft........:D

Lots of Great Thoughts posted above if you going with a Wet Slip,....
Make sure everything is up to Snuff......;)

BamaAlum97

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just took my own advice and rented a slip with a hoist for a year. I also opted for the "concierge" package...I can just call them when I leave the house...by the time I arrive, they will have the cover off, interior cleaned and have it fueled up to the requested level.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Our lake has the pesky zebra muscles. One thing that I have found out is that a good antifoul paint will prevent them from attaching themselves. Its all the other items under the water that becomes a habitat for them to thrive. I usually try to pull the boat out at least every 6 weeks to pressure wash the outdrive and trim tabs. All the green gunk sprays right off with a modest pressure washer.

Good Luck and have a safe season of boating.........SS