78 140, new CDI coils, cover won't fit and latch...ideas???

Ranger 330V

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just finished my electronics on my 78 johnson 140...everything new from CDI. Only problem is my cover won't fit right now...the brackets hit right between the coil wire boot and coil....it will go down but then the left side won't latch. Anyone else run into this when going with the CDI coils on a crossflow v-4?? I'm always afraid I'm going to catch a plug wire or mess up a coil...if I still had my insulation it probably wouldn't go down. Do you guys have the boots on the coils mounted towards the plugs or the exhaust housing?? I've tried a few ways and still can't seem to get the cover to fit right.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: 78 140, new CDI coils, cover won't fit and latch...ideas???

On my cross flow they are facing the exhaust housing.Were the CDI coils that much bigger than OEM? The new coils i put on were the same size as OEM.
Strange the cover fits that close..

captk

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try flipping the coils upside down on that side.

Ranger 330V

Petty Officer 1st Class

its not that they are bigger...the plug wire attachs to the rear of these newer coils...where on the old green coils the wire come out of the bottom...lol...always something huh?? I'll try flipping them...I've done that once but i'm going to try again and see what happens...the coils are the CD1's I believe...they are good up thru 84...I'm suprised it fits that tight also. Thanks

captk

Petty Officer 1st Class

those wires have to run under those coils . tight fit. do you have the correct ends on the coil wires the sp ends are larger. shorter boots.

Ranger 330V

Petty Officer 1st Class

yeah I got it...turned the boots towards exhaust...still a tight fit...just have to watch as I let it down...my boots are the same..I looked at that. Thanks again!