Kicker options want opinions

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Kicker options want opinions

If you're worried about losing that kicker, install a safety chain for it. In fact, it's not a bad idea in general with kickers. You can, if you do it right, even include an anti-theft lock on the chain. Little outboards have a habit of disappearing, somehow, if they're not locked. It's a big problem in my area for guys.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The Tohatsu/Nissan requirement is that a remote model engine cannot leave the dealer's premises's unless it has been installed by an authorized tech or a tech that is supervised by an authorized tech. Installation charges are based on difficulty and greed. We, being greedy, run anywhere from $500 up to $1200.00 depending on the model and how much guidance the consumer gives. The more a consumer watch's, ask's questions or God forbid, helps, the higher the fee.

ppaulin

Cadet

Well thats makes a big difference on final cost , although I had said that price wasent a factor: I do want to get the best value, If I have to pay 500$ (is what I was quoted by the dealer today) for the install that negates the fact that the 4 stroke would be worth more than the 2 stroke later on, and the cables for the remote were on top of that price at 60$ each, but apperently I can get them for 30$ each, so this does make quite a difference on the final decision.

Is the requirement for dealer install on remote models only by tohatsu or is it the norm for the industry?
( i mean for small outboards, I can understand this requirement for large ones )

ppaulin

Cadet

Well it's the weight thing brings up the most important question: forget about the bracket thats already installed, can the hull of this particular boat at the location shown on the pic above ie:where the bracket is installed, with a new bracket or otherwise sustain the forces applied to it (during normal use) from a 100 lb kicker, this question is about the boat itself.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

All the manufacturers have a prohibition against it, but only Tohatsu/Nissan and Honda seem to enforce it. Size doesn't matter as it's a liability issue due to the shift handle neutral position being adjusted to match an engine actually being in neutral. That's the official reason:) The real reason is to limit shipments of outboards outside their local geographic area.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The transom itself won't have any problem with the weight of the kicker if there's a backing plate like you said on the inside. Check and see how the big motor is mounted, most likely there's no backing plate, or if there is it will be small, you normally just see large washers.

ppaulin

Cadet

Thank's tohatsu guru, I'm happy to say that i've acquired what i wanted without the additional costs, i still have to test it on my particular application in real time, but from what you guys have advised me, I have done my homework and will be ok, I am not at liberty to talk about it but suffice to say that I will be installing it myself and will have a reliable up to date (new)kicker.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Without going into details:) Were you able to secure it within driving distance or was shipping involved? It can't be traced regardless, just wondering.

ppaulin

Cadet

Ondarvr, looks a solid setup, I am a Mech Eng Tech, thing is im used to steel and familiar to the calculations involved , fiberglass and old 20 year boat designs i'm not, so i'm more cautious, and bring up different questions because that,s my job in real time.

ppaulin

Cadet

yes shiping was involved, but one of my friends has family right across the border.

ppaulin

Cadet

update to follow in a few weeks, I cant thank you guys enough for all your help, you made me think about things I hadn't thought about, but in the end I made the best choice , based on the closest dealer , and his reputation.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Why would you post that here? It's a phony piece of libel.