1986 GM 350 5.7 OMC Cobra Upper Gear Box Problem

bpippin

Seaman Apprentice
Hey folks as the title says 1986 5.7 GM OMC Upper Gear box is frozen. I assume we didnt refill the lower unit properly and caused it to freeze up on the lake. We where going across the lake and it stopped suddenly. Couldn't been 10 mins. I have found after pulling the terndrive off, the teeth on the drive shaft are twisted from the sudden stop and you can not turn the shaft on the gearbox. Out of gear the prop will spin still. I'm thinking the grease was not placed in properly which caused it to lock up from lack of grease on the upper half. Whats my best course of action to repair this thing? We open the top half of the gear box and nothing appears to be broken there of course not sure about the bearing. We tried using a wrench to spin the shaft on the inside but won't budge. Any idea what I'm looking at far as parts or is it better to get a new gear box? I know I need a new shaft since its twisted and might as well replace the U-joints since its off. Is it likely a bearing or something more internal in the lower half of the box? Any good sites that have a break down of the unit or a place for parts that shipping wont cost the crude out of me. We live in DFW, Tx.

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 GM 350 5.7 OMC Cobra Upper Gear Box Problem

Re: 1985 GM 350 5.7 OMC Cobra Upper Gear Box Problem

Howdy,

Sounds like total destruction. Your best bet will probably be to try to find a good used one and swap it out. It will cost a small fortune to get all the parts together to do a complete rebuild.

You could look here and you'll get an idea what I'm talking about.

If I'm not mistaken that drive is a "Stringer". It's possible that it shares oil top and bottom. If that's the case you probably have damage top to bottom as there's a lot of metal in the oil now....

The rest of the OMC drivers will chime in here shortly......but I think you'll be looking for another drive.

Regards,

Rick

bpippin

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1986 GM 350 5.7 OMC Cobra Upper Gear Box Problem

Howdy,

Sounds like total destruction. Your best bet will probably be to try to find a good used one and swap it out. It will cost a small fortune to get all the parts together to do a complete rebuild.

You could look here and you'll get an idea what I'm talking about.

If I'm not mistaken that drive is a "Stringer". It's possible that it shares oil top and bottom. If that's the case you probably have damage top to bottom as there's a lot of metal in the oil now....

Regards,

Rick

Thanks for the post. I will have a look at that catalog. However it is definetly is an OMC Cobra Outdrive. Using that same site, this is the correct gearcase.
http://www.dougrussell.com/partscat...8,178,220,221,222,223,224,225,226,227,228,229

Also Visually only in the top power of the gear case there isnt any physical damage that can be seen.

Last edited:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If the upper is dead and siezed up, the lower gears and bearings are junk.
There are a few here that say it should be ok, but I have been rebuilding drives for a lot of years and never seen a seized upper with good gears and bearings in the lower.

bpippin

Seaman Apprentice

If the upper is dead and siezed up, the lower gears and bearings are junk.
There are a few here that say it should be ok, but I have been rebuilding drives for a lot of years and never seen a seized upper with good gears and bearings in the lower.

/bump

Waiting for the other OMC guys

bpippin

Seaman Apprentice

I have broke down the gear case. The Large bearing from the yoke is locked up. I can't believe what they ask for a gear set. Thats what make it cost so much. I can get the bearing for $50.00 and a gasket sets for $30.00. Everything else seems to be okay. What do you guys think? Otherwise It looks like I will just have to cut my loses and sell the boat or trade it for what ever I can get for it since I don't have that kinda money.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

You know it's really not required to "wait for the OMC guys" on this one.

Don (of course) knows EXACTLY what he's talking about. The Cobras DO share the oil top to bottom.

If you spend ANY money attempting to only rebuild one part of the drive it will be apart in the not to distant future for another (complete) rebuild.

Your 3rd BEST bet is to replace the drive with either a used one and take your chances..... Or completely rebuild it. After you do either, you'll still have a Cobra with all the "other" problems.

Your second best bet is to do what I did and replace the engine and drive with a Mercruiser engine and drive.....There's always a donor boat out there with a rotten floor or other hull problems that has a good engine/drive you can get for fairly cheep!

Unless you're hopelessly emotionally attached to this boat, your first "Best Bet" is to cut your losses and sell it as is.

Sorry,

Rick

/bump

Waiting for the other OMC guys