1993 Evinrude 115hp...LOAD of problems

chads30

Cadet
Mechanic told me it def. needs waterpump and thermostats. That is going to be around $500 probably.

Now I come to find it isn't going into gear. He checked the cables and they are fine supposively. Replacing that lower unit I guess is going to cost $500 minimum if he finds a good used one I guess.

O man

iwombat

Captain
Re: 1993 Evinrude 115hp...LOAD of problems

$500 for waterpump and t-stats?

Guess he gets $250/hr.

kadesdad07

Seaman Apprentice

No joke!! Are you able to make any of these repaires yourself? A $40 repair manual would help a lot. The water pump and stat with be an easy fix. You would be out maybe $100 bucks. The lower unit would be my main concern as far as cost goes.

chads30

Cadet

labor is 100/hr. Its a bubble back so im sure its guna take 3 hrs to do waterpump and thermos.
cant wait to hear more bad news about the lower end...:mad:

iwombat

Captain

All that aside.

What is it you want help with?

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

Throw that engine in my outboard graveyard, take the problems off your hands.

Most of what you said needs to be done can be done with a manual and assistance from this forum.

If you have any questions just start asking one by one and the replies will help you get this engine up and running again if that is what you are wanting to accomplish.

Wealth of experience here on the forums and always good advice.

kadesdad07

Seaman Apprentice

No doubt this place will have you feeling like you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.:)

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

STEP#1: Take your boat back

STEP#2: Go to Ebay or www.outboardbooks.com and order yourself a factory OEM manual.

STEP#3: Order the parts needed

STEP#4: Perform the repairs yourself, with the guidance of this forum and your newly aquired manual. Even with it being your first time, you will still have the t stats and water pump finished in under 2 hours.

STEP#5: Crack beer and relax

Regarding the lu, if you disconnect the cables and try shifting manually, will it now work? When the lu is down, and the t stats removed, make sure you flush the cooling system, then back flush, and clean out the water intake area.

http://www.meegsonline.com/tmd/waterpump.wmv

Yamajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with the posters above, i replaced a pump on 115 in January the manual and the postings on this site were invaluable.

chads30

Cadet

If you unhook the cables it still will not shift.
And since I have no idea what to look for in the lower unit and there could be 1 of many things wrong, I will def. let the mechanic tackle that.

As for the water pump and t-stats, im sure I could do them but but since it is a bubble back and hard to get to the t-stats and since I don't think it has been taken apart before it might be pretty hard to get to.

I'd rather it be done right I guess.

iwombat

Captain

I hate to be blunt, chad, but this isn't a gripe board. If you have questions about you motor you can ask them and we'll answer. But, if you just want to vent about needing repairs, then this isn't really the right place.

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

Chad you do what you think is best.

I am sure your wrench will do a good job.
If you take a little bit of time to become familiar with the working and functions of your outboard it will not seem so over whelming.

The lower unit may be as simple as a shift rod connection came loose, just removing a few screws and inspecting it and re tightening the bolt may fix it, or it may be a catastrophic failure, either way it is not going to cost you anything to learn how to inspect it, the members here all donate their time to assist others, if you need asistance you are in the right place.

Or follow Iwombats advice which I agree with 100%.