Need new Cobra Upper and Lower - is GLM OK?

Dean726

Recruit
Hi,

I'm new to the forums - hope I'm posting in the right place.

I have a 1990 boat with an OMC Cobra outdrive (4.3L). Last summer it seized up and my mechanic says I need to get the uppers and lowers rebuilt. Basically it will cost just over 3K for a rebuild. My mechanic is recommending parts made by BRP vs. some I found on the internet made by GLM - any comments? I can get brand new GLM vs. rebuilt BRP for about the same cost (maybe a bit less).

Thanks in advance. Any other advice is welcome.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need new Cobra Upper and Lower - is GLM OK?

Welcome to iboats.....:)
I'm sure some of the OMC guys will have some feedback, so stick around.....;)

Coors

Captain

I thought some one in here bought one from SEI.
I'm gonna have to find out where the local shop bought my upper 2 years ago, as that price didn't reflect $3000 for the whole unit.

metro3pilot

Seaman Apprentice

Check ebay,

I just looked at used 4.3 outdrive up for bid... I purchased one on there from a guy with a shop in Medway,Ohio ...it was a good deal and it works great.

studdy05

Petty Officer 3rd Class

just got the GLM 800 stringer upper and lower and it was a smooth and easy refit...used my gears from old outdrive and was highly impressed....even got some tech support to boot.

amarket has GLM stuff about half price...excited to get this animal back in the water now

Dean726

Recruit

Thanks for all the feedback - I have been monitoring the activity. After much deliberation I've decided to stick with my mechanics recommendation (BRP). Hopefully it will be the right choice. Studdy05 almost tipped me the other way, but I had seen a couple other posts in various places that gave me pause. I also want my mechanic on-side in case there are problems. If I was a do-it-myselfer, I think I might go the GLM route.

Thanks again to all.