Cant find torque specs

trenedi2002

Cadet
Hey guys, I rebuilt the head on my 1983 470 Mercruiser and I am about 150 miles from anywhere I can find a manual!!! I have internet and was wondering if there is someplace I can get the torque specs for the rocker arms and the valve cover!!! Or if not maybe 1 of you all may know them???

Thanks for all of the help
trenedi2002

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Cant find torque specs

You might as well go get the manual. You are going to need it for adjusting the valves, torque specs, timing, and all that goes with it.
And it doesn't take a whole lot to screw up a 470.

Don S

83-470torquespecs.png

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

checking/adjusting valve lash on the 470 is a pain. however if the valves have been ground its MANDATORY to check the lash.
I have even seen valve train damage cause the pushrods were not reinstalled in the correct hole.
pushrod length is what adjust valve lash on that engine.
cant remember how many lengths they made but its in the manual.

trenedi2002

Cadet

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the help with my old 470 Mercruiser.After the helicoil and the 7000 other problems my boat is still a piece of !@$% !!!!!! After all that it still isnt right, but you guys helped me so much with it that I have it running well enough to TRADE IN ON ANYTHING BUT A 470 MERCRUISER!!!! Am looking at a 96 19' Bayliner with a 3.0 mercruiser which I think I can do almost anything on after dealing with this old thing!!!

You guys helped me a ton and now I can actually say I can own a boat without the nightmare of it breaking me when something goes wrong with it that doesnt require heavy mechanic experience to deal with!!!

Thanks again guys and let me know your thoughts on that Bayliner!!!

trenedi2002

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the help with my old 470 Mercruiser.After the helicoil and the 7000 other problems my boat is still a piece of !@$% !!!!!! After all that it still isnt right, but you guys helped me so much with it that I have it running well enough to TRADE IN ON ANYTHING BUT A 470 MERCRUISER!!!! Am looking at a 96 19' Bayliner with a 3.0 mercruiser which I think I can do almost anything on after dealing with this old thing!!!

You guys helped me a ton and now I can actually say I can own a boat without the nightmare of it breaking me when something goes wrong with it that doesnt require heavy mechanic experience to deal with!!!

Thanks again guys and let me know your thoughts on that Bayliner!!!

trenedi2002
Bondo?.....Bondo?.....:)
Well, the 3.0 is a good engine.....;)

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

That is a great idea!!

Well, the Bayliner part I'll keep my mouth shut on, but with the little 3 liter 4 banger you really have to work hard to destroy them.....has to be one of the best marine engines ever used. They normally far outlive whatever hull they were installed in.

Good luck!

Bondo

Staff member

You guys helped me a ton,....
And,...
Now I can actually say I can own a boat without the nightmare of it,(fill in blank here)

Ayuh,.......

It Sounds like you're wanting to Jump from the Frying Pan(470),.....
Into th Fire(old Bilgeliner)......... :rolleyes:

Old Bilgeliners,..... Well,... Bilgeliners in General, are an "Entry Level" boat.....
They tend to be Neglected by their 1st time Buyers,+ they end up Rotten,....
Rotten Transoms, Stringers, Floors,Oops, sorry JB, Decks,.... All the wood used is usually just plain ole Rotten.....
Of course the Maintance of the Driveline is Also sometimes Neglected as Well......
I hear the 80s are the Worst....

As noted by Bomar,... The little 3.0l is a reliable old workhourse,.... They'll push along most any barge, up to maybe 19', if you're a Skier,.. 17'.....
Much bigger boat,+ they run out of Power,.. Quickly......

Go have a Look at the New Toy you've found,....
It might be Just the Ticket for your Dreams,......
Just look it over Really Closely,+ with an Open Mind,......
It's pretty much a Buyer's Market out there right now,... Take advantage of That.......

Good Luck........

Btw,.....
The Nightmare part of it Never goes away..........................:D

Don S

The 96 Baylners are fine. Solidly built and as good as any of the others. I will NOT say that about the 80's junk they put out.