MPG Website

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does anyone know of a website where you can get an idea of the gas mileage of a type of a car. I am looking at a 98 Volvo with that 5 cylinder engine. It has a turbo in it. I don't know what that means to gas mileage. I hate worrying about it but these days, I have to. I imagine many of you do too. Any ideas?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: MPG Website

www.fueleconomy.gov works and you might want to google the volvo to find out how long the turbo lasts. I would bet they are $1500 or more to replace.

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

Doesn't matter, any which way you look at it, you still have to fill 'er up to make it move. I am stuck with a pickup and can't afford to get a hybrid or an economy car as I do not want to be stuck with a note.... So IMHO a few cents extra doesn't matter, just have to cut back on some other pleasure like going to the movies etc...

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bob, that was perfect. Just what I wanted to know. I haven't checked with Volvo yet on the life of the turbo. I will check. It only has 52K miles on it. So it should be good for a while yet.

I know I have to pay the price for the gas and am willing to do it but I want to be smart about the car I buy. I too have a truck/tow vehicle. And it hurts to fill it.

Mark

waterinthefuel

Commander

That's an interesting website. I checked my little truck, it gets 23 city, 19 highway. They have those exact numbers, opposite each other. They have it getting better highway miles than city, but in actuality, that is not at all true. For some reason it gets better miles in town, I guess due to the low geared rear end for towing.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have/had the same concerns as you guys. My Mercedes ML430 gets 16 city and 18-20 on the hiway but it uses Premium. I really love driving her. The most secure feeling I ever had in a vehicle. . .AWD, ABS, Traction and Stability Control, 2 speed transfer case. Tows up to 5,000lb. In my daily driving she costs me about $.20/mile. Gets 15mpg towing my Boston Whaler.

I am getting old and feeble and poor. I have quit wrenching. I am going to sell my beloved RED SKY so I won't need a tow vehicle, so I am going to sell OLE BLUE, too.

I just bought a '96 Mercedes E300D diesel that gets 35-37mpg. That will cost me $.10 per mile, cutting my fuel cost in half. "GOLDIE" is my fourth Mercedes Diesel, so I know she will last longer than I will.

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer

i get i average about 16 city and 19 highway in my 96 f250 7.3 diesel, but diesel is 4.00 a gallon, where reg unleded is 3.23 still cost less than driving an f250 with an big block gas enigin but im hoping the price of diesel drops back down, i did get 17.8 mpg mixed out of my last tank with a little light towing (6000lbs) but iv been driving like a grandma

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Regarding the turbo, they use more fuel as that's the whole point of having a turbo. If you had two identical cars, one turbo and one NA, the NA car will get a few more MPG...