1980 wellcraft

sikz3

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am going to go look at a mercruiser powered (4 cyl) 1980 wellcraft. The photos of boat look nice but I know there is more to it than that. I do not know hp or anything. What should I specifically check on a mercruiser boat? I know floor and transom and oil after I hear it run. Also any idea what four cyl. mercs were used in this year? I will TRY to get more info and check back w/ all of you experts before the purchase. But for $2400, not sure how long it will be there.

sikz3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1980 wellcraft

This is a quote from him. If it helps to id the motor.
"Yes, it has been properly winterized. It all so has two methods of cooling. It uses antifreeze and draws fresh water for cooling."

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes, it has been properly winterized.

Heard that statement many times, only to find out they THOUGHT it was properly winterized, when in fact it wasn't. They just thought it was.
A Looooong water test will tell the story and end any questions.
2400 for a 1980 boat with no info is NOT a good sign.

sikz3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don S, Could this possibly be the dreaded 470 model? And if I run it on muffs will I find the water in the ol' oil problem,If it was NOT properly winterized? If a lake test is not an option what are my other choices? Apperantly, he lost his job and needs the cash and I need a boat.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Personally... i would never buy a boat without a sea trial.
Would you buy a car without a test drive?
if its a 4 cyl 165 horse... its a 470 and skip that one.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don S, Could this possibly be the dreaded 470 model?

Sure it could, but you have to be the one to tell or show us what it is. No way can we guess. Wellcraft has used OMC, Volvo, and Mercruiser. All in the same year.
Either come up with some numbers or some pictures. But don't pull out your wallet just yet.

sikz3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, I will post back with more info tommorow. You guys have been a lot of help. As some of you know, I bought a 1980 seaswirl with omc 140 two years ago, and used it almost every weekend during the warmer mos. Well among other problems I now found that the floor needs redone. Being an OMC with some other small problems (ie. tilt motor, carb) I feel it is not worth the time and $ needed to repair. The wife and 3 yr. old are insisting we have a boat this summer. They love it as I do as well. (lucky to have one that enjoys it and does not complain about it:D) I do not want to make a purchase that will only last me two years. I have no problem forking out cash to keep the maintenance and small repairs up, but ripping floors out or replacing cracked block or o/d's I am not willing to do.

Robj

Lieutenant

Find out the details, and the guys here will give you good advice. You are already aware of what to aviod, OMC, 470 Merc etc. Regardless of what the power is, with a 4 banger you may find it underpowered.

Have a great day,

Rob.