Nissan 50hp lower leg removal

lancev

Recruit
I have a 1995 Nissan 50hp motor and am trying to change the impeller. I removed the 6 large bolts and am not able to seperate the lower unit. Are there other items that have to be taken apart or unsrewed? I don't want to break things while driving them apart.
Thanks for any help
Lance

tylerr83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Nissan 50hp lower leg removal

dont know how nissans are set up, but if the lower unit drops by an inch or so with those bolts below the caviation plate out, but woint seperate, then its your shift rod thats holding you up...it runs all the way from the lower unit through the midsection and in my evinrude connects to the shifter linkage beneath the carbs. if this is your problem, make sure you mark it when you remove...you dont want to turn it as they are threaded for adjustment

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

On that model it is the six bolts and the coupler. The coupler has to spring pins running through it that hold the upper and lower shift rods together. Drive out either one and the unit is free to drop. If it does not, then it is being held in place by salt.

lancev

Recruit

It is the coupler that I don't know where it is.
To fill in the details; there is some salt and I ended up breaking off the head of one of the stainless bolts. I will remove the burr on the bolt that is still holding the leg tight, then hopefully be able to lower the leg. Do I drop the leg about an inch, then locate the coupler inside or is it external on the leg? I don't want to pound too hard to separate the leg if there is something else holding it.
Thanks for the help.
Lance

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

External, very visible and the procedure is very clearly laid out in that service manual that I know you are using:) Get a manual, get a manual, get a manual.

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

Have someone move the shift back and forth and you will see the coupler and pins that Elvin is talking about come into view.