is 4 hp j2reec a good motor?

tinbirdrod

Recruit
hi guys, want to thank the forum for being here. am wondering, i have a chance to pick up a 4 hp johnson, model j2reec 99, which looks like it hasn't been used much (like new appearance) from a buddy. he bought it from a guy who needed money and will sell it to me for 100.00. he did say that the motor would start but not stay running and feels it may be the headgasket. i'm not sure if this is something he was told by the buyer or he is making an assumption. anyway, am wondering what you guys think. i plan to use it on my 12' aluminum for weekend fishing excursions. so i guess my questions are these:
- would the motor start,but not run if the head gasket is blown?
- how difficult is it to replace the head gasket, i didn't see any oil stains or indication of exhaust gas leaking, in fact like i mentioned the motor looked pretty clean, but i suppose it could have been pressure washed.
- did these motors have any head gasket issues, or other potential ongoing problems (i.e. unreliable electronics, maintenance nightmare etc.)
- what is the best way to 'troubleshoot' pull the plug and compression test is what i'm thinking, and then maybe consider the carburetor needs cleaning, what compression should the motor have.
- i noted that it has a cdi? type ignition, were these reliable, is there a way to test it all is well. i'm guessing that with a cdi ignition either the motor will run or it won't.
-and finally, i'm reading different recommendations for oil mix ratios, what do you recommend and is the brand name oil the way to go, or is there aftermarket that seems better?
thanx for your patience as well as any suggestions/responses

tinbirdrod

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: is 4 hp j2reec a good motor?

that would be a 1999, haven't had any experience with the particular motor. but historically 4's have been great motors. yes compression check, pull till the guage quits rising. check the spark, i'm actually suspecting a carbs, sticking float needle. or clogged jets. 50-1 fuel ratio, as long it is tc-w3 rated outboard motor oil is all that is necessary, synthetic smokes less.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Hate to ask a dumb question as my books don't go that new, but in older conventions a J2 would be a 2hp. Did they actually make a 4hp in '99 that they used a J2 model designation on? Seems weird...

BTW, I'd jump on a '99 4hp for $100. They sell for a lot up here. $400+ probably.

tashasdaddy

you are correct Steve it is a 2hp i just use introduces for the year e=9. checked BRP
JOHNSON
J2REEC 1999 they are still good motors,

tinbirdrod

Recruit

hi guys, thanx for the responses, you're absolutely right, I was going with what my buddy told me he thought it was, but when i checked the books in the library and the 'net the 2 means that it is a 2 hp. he's away right now for easter, but i think i will go for it as it would be for trolling anyway and 2 hp would be good for that. i checked different sources, this one in particular, and it seems that if i do need a head gasket, they're easy to get and inexpensive too! i think that i'd change the impeller while i'm at it just to be safe.
happy easter to all
tinbirdrod

wbeaton

Commander

Its a good motor. The head gasket is easy to change, but its probably not your problem. All Johnson/Evinrudes of that era have CDI ignition. It likely just needs the carb cleaned (from sitting) and a new water pump impeller. $100 is a fair price. Probably worth $200+ running. If its really nice I'd ask $275 running.

tashasdaddy

i would do the carb, and impeller, then try it, before the head gasket. why chance breaking a bolt when not needed.