Re: Killer Stingray

"They do not attack people."

Tell that to the dead woman's father.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Good grief.

An accident, plain and simple.

Next we will be reading about killer telephone poles and deadly trees.

"Killer woman kills poor eagle ray that was minding its own business."

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

What a freak accident..poor woman probably didn't know what hit her.
Those kind of Rays get huge..Running 25 to 30 mph would be like getting hit in the head with sledge hammer.
I know they don't attack people.
I had about a 2 pound white bass jump in my canoe one time,scared the carp out of me!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

we see them in the keys, when we are there. it's a freak accident.

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

I guess it is natural for something like this on the water. People run into horses, cows, hogs, deer, moose etc. all of the time with deadly consequences.

When it is your time, there is no avoiding it. Duck if you can though! Don't rush it!

aspeck

Staff member

Now I know what Snapper was trying to do when he had me catching Rays ... he was trying to get me killed! :D

Oh Snapperbait, where are you????

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Sad but it happens occassionally. There really isn't anything to do, short of hiding behind the windshield of the boat all of the time. Since the odds of something like this happening are probably akin to the odds of being struck by lightening, choosing to live life without constant fear is probably a better choice.

BTW, I had a mullet jump into the front of my boat one day while "put-putting" along with my then two year old sitting in the "split" of my windshield. At first, it scared him about half to death because he had never been that close to a live fish before but, after I threw it back in the water, all was well. Ever since then (about 8 months), he has had a tendency to launch into random recitations of "get out of my boat, fishie!" over and over and over again, in that very special way that only a two year old understands!

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

It happens, though rare.....
I've heard they have a problem in the Mississippi valley with asian carp that jump....
Is that true?.....
I know I damn near got speared by a marlin that had some fight left in him.....:eek:

D

DJ

Good grief.

Next we will be reading about killer telephone poles and deadly trees.

."

Who hasn't heard about trees jumping right out of the forest and biting cars?:D

Horrible trajedy but a freak accident.

qaztwo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have first hand experience with the carp, so yes its true.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

I guess it is natural for something like this on the water. People run into horses, cows, hogs, deer, moose etc. all of the time with deadly consequences.

When it is your time, there is no avoiding it. Duck if you can though! Don't rush it!

What are all those things doing in the water????? I dont ever think i have seen any cows, deer, moose, or horses when i am out on the bay in my boat!! What people do you know of that have ran into any of these things when on the water??? Thats crazy. How would a cow even get into the ocean anyhow?

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Also seahorses. I have caught a couple a "hawgs" on the water.
And of course many bays are infested with "moosels" :D
Sorry, couldn't resist! :p

rolmops

Vice Admiral

What are all those things doing in the water????? I dont ever think i have seen any cows, deer, moose, or horses when i am out on the bay in my boat!! What people do you know of that have ran into any of these things when on the water??? Thats crazy. How would a cow even get into the ocean anyhow?

As far as cows are concerned,you may be right.But I do remember roping camels about a mile out in the Red Sea off Sharm El Sheik which is now Egypt.They were washed down a wadi(canyon) in a huge flash flood like they can only happen in the desert.
As for the stingrays,again in the Red Sea,when diving we used to see them above us with a wing/fin span of what seemed 15 feet wide.We used to swim up to them and hitch rides on their wings.We stopped after one of my soldiers found himself air borne when a ray decided to jump for joy.My guy almost got killed by the impact of the ray hitting the water.