Carb orifice question

skynyrdcat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What exactly is the function of the high . med and low speed orifice, and how do they work and how do you test them?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Carb orifice question

The 'jet' is referring to the part of the carb that meters fuel depending on the air velocity moving through the venturi. If this is clogged, or damaged then it would lead to incorrect fuel/air mixtures. This can cause all types of problems. They differ slightly depending on the model of the outboard you are referring to, what is your model number?

During a rebuild it is crucial that they get cleaned thoroughally. This does not mean simply spraying carb cleaner into them.

skynyrdcat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

88 Evinrude 110 hp V-4 (don't have the model number handy).

So really, the only way they could get "damaged" would be during a rebuild or repair?

Clean effectively with something like a paint brush bristle to get into the small places?

Is it safe to assume thatthe "fixed" orifice is not replaceable (have to buy new bowl)?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Fixed jets (orifice) are not adjustable.

The fixed jets need to be removed carefully, with a made special tool as shown by FR below. Simply make it with a belt sander. They can be easily damaged by removing them incorrectly. They can get blocked with crud or varnished, causing all types of problems.

FixedJetScrewdriver2.jpg

Some say not to attempt to remove them, simply blast them with carb cleaner, compressed air, and some machinists wire. Other insist on removing them, cleaning thoroughally. Personally, I remove them. This video may help with a carb rebuild.

http://www.meegsonline.com/tmd/TMDsVideoChronicle2.wmv

skynyrdcat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks very much for the info.

Very helpful.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i remove them also. and use a couple of strands of wire to make sure they are clean, then blow them out. reinstall then blow out everything you can. also removing the core plug, and cleaning the venturi. here's the tool i made, from F_R's diagram.

Attachments

• carb tool.JPG
    carb tool.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 0
  • FixedJetScrewdriver2.jpg
    FixedJetScrewdriver2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1

skynyrdcat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i remove them also. and use a couple of strands of wire to make sure they are clean, then blow them out. reinstall then blow out everything you can. also removing the core plug, and cleaning the venturi. here's the tool i made, from F_R's diagram.

Excellent, thanks for the info!