Trailer to big to fit in garage

bazrfc

Seaman Apprentice
hey all,
im looking to purchase a new boat, ive been looking at 17ft fishing boats with a canopy as im on the west coast,
the problem i have is i only have 21ft in my garage,
can you cut the trailer a little to make it fit, or is there any more other options???
any feed back would be appriciated.
baz

ocb_dave_ocb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Trailer to big to fit in garage

You know that is the same exact problem I have, My boat is 17' and my trailer with boat is right at 1' too long... I was thinking about moving my winch post foward some, so the rest of the boat could move up more? I dunno..

They make a product called a pivithitch Im thinking about getting one of those

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Trailers with folding tongues are popular now. Find out what the difference in length is between a trailer with a regular and folding tongue. If it fits, order it with that trailer.

reelfishin

Captain

What you want is something like this, it can be added to an existing tongue and allows the tongue to fold aside and then lock back into place when needed. Their easy to install and solve the garage fit issue. I didn''t see any listed here at iboats but I found this online:
http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0036105017469a.shtml

You may be able to email iboats to see if they can get these too.

KeyWestBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I recently bought a 15 1/2 ft Key West which I fit in my garage. Where we live we're not allowed to keep a boat outside and we didn't want to keep in a boatyard. We only have 18'4" clearance and it clears by about 6" on each end. We have a swing tongue which was already on the trailer. The winch is moved back close to the bow but still sticks out a bit. I also looked at 17 1/2 ft boats. You add about 18" for the motor and you're around 19'. You need to see how far the tongue & winch will stick out past the bow when it's folded. Also make sure your windshield will clear the top of the door. I think you should be fine with 21ft. If you plan on also having a car in the garage don't forget to measure the widest part fender to fender and make sure you can open your car door! It's best if you can find a boat with the trailer you want and measure to make sure. If it's a new boat like mine was they put on the swing tongue and moved back the winch as part of the deal. You want to make sure you have some wiggle room but it looks like you should. Hope this helps!

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We have the same issue with the boat we ordered. Had to fit within a spot 21' long. The garage is actually 24 feet long, but I'd have to rearrange everything and I'm not sure even then I could get a bigger boat in. So we visited boat dealers and measured. The Lund 17'6" Fisherman we're getting measures 19' 5 1/2" long with the 115hp Merc tilted down and the Shoreland'r swing-tongue open.

Another thing to consider is the boat's height. Our garage is only 81" high at its lowest part. Sure, we could lower the jacking wheel on the front a bit to get in a bigger boat, but the Lund we're getting measured 78 1/2" high, so not a problem there either.

And finally the width. We have a standard double garage, so fitting the 102" wide trailer shouldn't be a problem.

Nevertheless, I'm still sweating bullets. Despite the number of times I've measured and re-measured, I worry there will be something stupid I forgot to consider. When we get that boat home and safely stored in the garage, I'll be one happy skipper.:cool:

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Time for a bigger garage !!!! LOL

futbal2332

Seaman Apprentice

Atleat you have a little problem, i have a big problem lol, somehow both my engines on my mako got filled with water over the winter, both motors are shot and the DR. said there not worth rebuilding since there old (1988) now ihave a boat with no motors and just bought a brand new trailer, but it does look good sitting in the driveway.

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

When I bought my last rig, the dealer towed it to my house to see how she fit in the garage. If she didn't fit, the deal was off. She fit fine and I closed the deal. With boat sales plumeting, I'll bet most dealers would be willing to tow one to your place to check the fit.
Nightstalker

el toro

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This may be a stupid question but... when you install one of those swing away hitches doesn't cutting into the trailer tongue compromise the galvanization on that spot?

futbal2332

Seaman Apprentice

yes if you cut the tongue it will rust it out if you dont take care of it, go to home depot in the spray paint isle and buy cold galvinizing its in a silver can, shake it up real good and when finished turn the can upside down and spray for a couple seconds and it keeps the can good, just check on it every now and again and touch up it needed

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

This may be a stupid question but... when you install one of those swing away hitches doesn't cutting into the trailer tongue compromise the galvanization on that spot?

Any coated, plated, painted steel will start to deteriorate if it is attacked with metal cutting equipment. It must be re-treated immediately to minimise the effects of the atmosphere on it. The cold galvanizng stuff works to a certain extent but is not as effective as the original galvanising.

DaveJ50

Seaman

After we cut my tongue, I mixed a glob of JB Weld, got a small brush and painted the fresh cut. The JB Weld is kind of silver anyway and blends in pretty well.

That was almost 3 years ago and I have not seen signs rust.

ocb_dave_ocb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Have you thought about doing a slid out tongue? I have thought about that too myself

Tredeb

Seaman Apprentice

We have the same issue with the boat we ordered. Had to fit within a spot 21' long. The garage is actually 24 feet long, but I'd have to rearrange everything and I'm not sure even then I could get a bigger boat in. So we visited boat dealers and measured. The Lund 17'6" Fisherman we're getting measures 19' 5 1/2" long with the 115hp Merc tilted down and the Shoreland'r swing-tongue open.

Another thing to consider is the boat's height. Our garage is only 81" high at its lowest part. Sure, we could lower the jacking wheel on the front a bit to get in a bigger boat, but the Lund we're getting measured 78 1/2" high, so not a problem there either.

And finally the width. We have a standard double garage, so fitting the 102" wide trailer shouldn't be a problem.

Nevertheless, I'm still sweating bullets. Despite the number of times I've measured and re-measured, I worry there will be something stupid I forgot to consider. When we get that boat home and safely stored in the garage, I'll be one happy skipper.:cool:

Be sure to watch the height of your motor when tilted. I have to lower mine to get through the door, then I can raise it again.

Also, depending on how level the approach to your garage is, the height of your boat may vary from level ground.

ebry710

Ensign

If you use a portable band saw you can slice the tube without taking off too much galvanize. I trick is to cut slow and keep cool.

You cannot match the performance of hot dipped galvanized steel, but this cut is no different then any cut or hole put into the trailer after the original dip. Cold galvanize paint is still applying a sacrificial metal. Washing salt off after use and allowing the trailer to stay dry after use should prevent all but the normal oxidation.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

If you use a portable band saw you can slice the tube without taking off too much galvanize. I trick is to cut slow and keep cool.

You cannot match the performance of hot dipped galvanized steel, but this cut is no different then any cut or hole put into the trailer after the original dip. Cold galvanize paint is still applying a sacrificial metal. Washing salt off after use and allowing the trailer to stay dry after use should prevent all but the normal oxidation.

Another reason to examine the construction of a trailer prior to purchase.
A really good trailer builder will galvanize everything AFTER it has been drilled, trimmed, cut, welded etc. Then assembled.

Another possibility to fit an extra long rig into a short garage is to build a kickout in the garage wall. Especially if your only needing a few more inches.

ebry710

Ensign

Sounds reasonable to me. :)

Last edited:

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

I put one of the Fulton swing kits on my trailer to allow it fit in the garage with 1" to spare. Couldn't be happier with the end result. Installation was straight forward, and they even supply the drilling fixture for the mounting holes. Money well spent.

Attachments

• fulton.JPG
    fulton.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 0