Would it be worth the wait for an E-TEC?

Lundman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am in the market for a new 2008 Lund A-14 utility-v aluminum boat. I am
considering a 15 hp Yamaha four stroke for pwer,but wish that Evinrude would
get the E-TEC down to that horsepower range so I could have an Evinrude
instead. Nothing against Yamaha,of course,but I would rather have an E-TEC.
Do you think it would be worth the wait for BRP to get those E-TECs down to
that horsepower range? By the time the wait would be over,I would probably
be looking at a 2009 Lund. Only problem is that I want to get back on the water this summer if at all possible. I have also considered trying to get a
2006 15 hp Johnson two stroke from any dealer who might still have some in stock(none of the dealers in my area have anymore) if I can't hold out for an E-TEC. Anything but Mercury,...had too much trouble with their engines. The
Yamaha is still a first choice,but still would rather have a 'Rude or Johnny.
Brunswick is not going to stop me from putting either Yamaha,'Rude,or a
Johnny on the transom of that A-14 Lund. It's just a simple row boat,so who
cares what brand of motor is on there. This is America,...land of the free,isn't
it? If so, then I have the right to put whatever motor I want on my boat.
Still,that question remains; Will it be worth the wait for an E-TEC?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Would it be worth the wait for an E-TEC?

i would put a used motor on it for now, then the etec, when it is available. there's a nice 15 johnny/rude on ebay right now. ebay # 190204003625

wbeaton

Commander

Whatever motor you buy now will very likely be a lifetime motor as long as you maintain it. So I say hold out and get what you really want. In the mean time run what you've got or pick up something used. Small outboards under 20 hp hold a value for years. Depending on the year, you can probably buy something now and sell it in a few years for the same amount as long as you don't beat the crap out of it.

JB

What Daddy said.

It is likely to be a long time before BRP comes up with a DFI/computer system to run a small 2 stroke.

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class

It may be but if your fishing and trolling with it you may wan't a four stroke (yamaha).
Just a thought

Fuzzey

Lundman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It may be but if your fishing and trolling with it you may wan't a four stroke (yamaha).
Just a thought

Fuzzey

Thanks for all the input,guys,...it is very well taken. BUT,...Fuzzey has a point. The four stroke Yamaha may be my best bet,especially since most
of the lakes I fished on with my previous boat were either idle speed only
or 10 mph limit lakes. That old two stroke Merc I had on the previous boat
would really load up alot on slow speed as most of your carbed two strokes
would do anyway. That motor did not like trolling at all,it seemed. Nothing against BRP,but I think,as Fuzzey said,the Yamaha would be my best bet.
Of course,I would not rule out a good well maintained pre-owned Johnson,
either. I really think the Yammie would shine on those lakes with low speed
limits since it would not "load up" like a carbed two stroke would. I just wonder how much of a difference there would be in fuel economy between
an old carbed two stroke and a newer('07 or later)four stroke like the Yamaha
I have on my list.

Lundman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What Daddy said.

It is likely to be a long time before BRP comes up with a DFI/computer system to run a small 2 stroke.

Not sure I can wait that long!

wbeaton

Commander

I fish and troll with my 2 stroke outboards and have not had any probelms. I don't run any Mercs, though. I also think in a motor as small as a 15 hp the fuel usage is such a minor concern. Even my 1950's 15 hp motors don't use that much fuel. Open the plug gap .005" if you find any fouling.

However, this motor is going to last you MANY years. Get what you really want. Nothing wrong with Yamaha.

tashasdaddy

"Open the plug gap .005" if you find any fouling." in the old days we would set the plug gap if doing a lot of slow speed running, additional .010 or normal .030 we would go .040 . now just going .050 over usually cures the load up problem, also decarbing the motor every 50 or so hours, is good.

Lundman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can you wait for late summer or early fall?

I would not want to go longer than that,but that does not guarantee me
that BRP will have the E-TEC down to that horsepower range(9.9 to 15).
I feel I should just go ahead and stick with Yamaha. Probably would be happier with that motor anyway,...but then again,BRP could very well
catch me by surprise and have some ready to go,...although I won't hold
my breath on that(or get my hopes up,in other words).

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Seahorse,

At Miami BRP people were saying that a 25/30 would be out in the fall, but that the 9.9/15 project would not be available until the end of 09. Did they bump the project priority up or were they just a little pessimistic? Also, do you know if they can beat the 80 lb mark? If they can they will have a winner.

Last edited:

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

It seems to me that I just saw a Johnson 15 and 9.9- 2 strokes ('06's) at a dealer in Ray, MN (Voyageur Marine- Lake Kabetogama). He has both 2 strokes and 4 strokes. People will obviously disagree, but for what you are looking to do, one of those old classic Johnson designs would work very well in that application. Afterall, that is what those models were meant to do at that HP level....

They are a small dealer and very friendly to work with.... Not sure what the cost of shipping would be....

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Go with a good used motor for the time being and see what hasppens.
I think fuel consumption is negligble in that size motor