Black Max hesitation and alarm acting weird...

jerbs

Recruit
I've never posted here, but have learned a ton from searching through the archives. Thanks to all those that have posted.

I have a 1988 175 Black Max.

It has run pretty good since I've had it the last 4 months, but I started having a few problems in the last week.

First, my alarm wouldn't always do it's self test when I turn the key. Then it gave off a weird ghastly sound when getting on to plane a few times. All oil reservoirs are full and temp is not high.

Now to the bigger problem.
When I engage the throttle (or idle lever) it sounds like it's trying to go but the RPMS stay relatively the same. Eventually, it seems to catch and the RPMS increase and it runs great all the way to WOT. When it catches a big cloud of smoke is spit out.

I have tried to pump the bulb, but it does nothing when hesitating. If I try to just gas it the motor sputters out. It is especially bad when trying to trailer the boat.

At first, because of the alarm (i think) a few people from another forum thought it could be the oil pump (nylon gear) I took off the oil pump and inspected inside the block for any damage and it looked normal. If it was the oil pump I don't think I would have a running motor right now as I have run it almost WOT. Wouldn't I even be able to WOT if there were fuel/oil delivery problem?

I talked to a guy who I buy parts from and he thinks its the stator. After some research I found that it could be the low-speed coil, not sending the proper amount of power (too much or too little) He also thinks this because I blew my rectifier awhile ago, but kept using my boat for a few trips. He is sending me a flywheel puller so I pull it off and visually check the stator. Could replacing the stator fix my hesitation problems and maybe the alarm too?

Anything else I should try? I plan on getting a spark plug checker and checking the plugs ASAP.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for your help.

jerbs

Recruit
Re: Black Max hesitation and alarm acting weird...

Sorry for the double post. This is the correct (edited) one. Mod could you please delete the other one. thanks.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Put a timing light on all cylinders at idle. If they all fire properly, I would think the stator is good. If you find a cylinder w/o spark, swap coils and see if the no spark folows the coils. If the no spark follows the coil, it is likely not the stator.

If you do a forum search on the folow topic, Laddies had posted an extensive troubleshooting procedure. Your ignition is the same

Re: 1994 135HP V6 Merc No Spark

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jerbs

Recruit

thanks for the response. That sheet is very inforamative.

Today I bought a spark tester and checked all plugs. They all tested good (the light went on). Does that mean that my stator is good?

I took out my plugs and there seemed to be a little on the damp side with a few of them having some oil on them. I'm gonna get new plugs tomorrow and check my voltage coming out of the stator, both at idle and over 2500rpms.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I would think it is likely the carb idle mixture screw setting, or possible the fuel pump. On those motors, if you set the idle mixture for max smooth idling, the mixture it too lean to accelerate smoothly. First check the fuel pump diaghram for leaks.

You might try richening the top carb 1/8 turn, and see if the situation improves. Follow up with the mid carb and then the bottom carb. Remember each carb had two mixture screws.

j_martin

Admiral

If this is a one time in the morning thing, take a look at the fuel lines before you start it. Sometimes the crankcase check valve in the oil system will fail to let off the oil pressure in the boat tank, and in a few hours your fuel lines are full of 2 cycle oil. Starts and runs crappy till it clears out.

Valve on a V6 is lower forward starboard side. Air line goes to it.

hope it helps
John