New Prop Question

gregmsr

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have 1989 Force 125hp. If I get a new prop, what other items must I get with it for installation? Anything like new nut, shims, bushings, ect. I have never changed a prop before. Any help, thanks.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: New Prop Question

The last 2 I bought (Michigan Wheel) I bought the prop then the hub to fit the motor. The hub came with everything to install it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

What you need to buy depends on what type of prop you buy and what you have now. If your engine is currently fitted with a rubber hub prop (the prop and hub are not separate), you can buy an exact replacement. If you have a prop with a separate hub, you can still buy a fixed hub prop, or you can buy one of the many props that use a separate hub that matches your engine. The hub assembly comes with everything you need to install that type of system.

gregmsr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Silvertip. I removed the prop and it is all one piece. It has a "15" stamped on it and it has 15 splines. All I want is one just like the original. I will keep old one for a spare.
So, all I have to do is order an originial prop, exact replacement for a 1989 Force 125?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If the prop shown in the link is the actual prop, it is indeed cupped as most are these days. Just because your prop is one piece does not mean you need a one piece replacement. There are several XHS style (exchangeable hub system) props. With those you buy the prop which can be used on any engine but each engine has its own hub kit. You ruin the prop you simply replace the cheaper prop itself. You don't need another hub.

gregmsr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Silvertip. I think I have it now. I doubt the picture shown is the actual prop. I'm not really worried about damage and i'm not in to the fine tuning / exchanging of props. Just a basic prop for all around use is fine with me. I have a better understanding now, thanks to all.