stubborn oil filter

pulleyman123

Seaman Apprentice
Any tips or secret recipes for removing a stubborn oil filter would be greatly appreciated. I've already bent two filter wrenches (maybe it's time to buy a good one). I've been using the strap type as that is all my hardware store sells. I'm sure somebody has figured a technique to this age old problem besides just pulling my hair out and busting some knuckles.
thanks

MikDee

Banned
Re: stubborn oil filter

Who puts it on that !@#$%&* tight? Or maybe they didn't oil the rubber gasket?, Put a chisel thru it, and unscrew it! That's the end solution I've used on motor vehicles.

pulleyman123

Seaman Apprentice

I didn't put it on, wish I had though, at least I could be cursing myself. Where on the can do I put the chisel through?

tommays

Admiral

If you can warm it up well it will usally help

I use a BIG screwdriver and drive it through as a last resort as the long handle makes a good lever

Tommays

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Before you make a mess, get a good strap wrench and get hold of the filter as close to the gasket surface as you can. The lower you grip the filter the easier it is to crush the canister. The best wrench is not a strap wrench but rather a cup wrench. But then if the filter doesn't have flats on it those don't work. If the canister is already damaged the cup wrench won't work either. Now then, if you end up totally destroying the shell, pull or cut it off. Then cut a piece of bar stock about a foot long. Measure the distance between two of the holes in the top of the filter. Drill two holes at the end of the bar and put two bolts in the holes and secure them with nuts. Position the bar so the two bolts enter the filter cap and unscrew it.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

To add to the strap wrench trick, take a piece of medium sandpaper, fold it so that the rough side is facing out on both sides, and slip that between the strap and the body of the filter, that can help the strap to not slip, and give the grip you need to turn it off. If you oil the gasket, and just install hand tight, you won't have that problem again.

pulleyman123

Seaman Apprentice

I tried the sandpaper with my wrench didn't budge, so I just grabbed it with the biggest set of Channel Locks I have and it finally busted loose. Thanks guys for all your ideas. I will make sure I oil this new one up good.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I'm glad you finally got it loose. I have used a large pipe wrench on 'em in the past, and even my Stilson Wrench one time. That wrench really crushes the filter until it is strong enough to break loose( or tear off the base plate)

I would think one of those rubber/fabric strap wrenches would work, if you had a strong enough one.

hal2814

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The first time I changed the oil in my current boat, I tried strap wrenches, strap wrenches with sandpaper, and pipe wrenches. The last resort screwdriver through the side just tore up the canister. I eventually had to carefully chisel out the rubber gasket holding the filter on (mind the lip around the filter base if you have to do this) and then chisel and sand the filter base to get rid of the old gasket.