Cranking problem 225 evinrude

rodeohog

Cadet
I have a 225 Evinrude that runs great but will not start after sitting for a while. I have to take a plug out and squirt some starting fluid in to get it to finally start. Once started it runs fine, restarts fine all day long. But after sitting for a time like overnight, it goes back to this not starting problem. Bulb squeezes hard, changed fuel filter, plugs are new, fuel lines seem fine, nothing appears to be wrong. What really drives me crazy is that once it starts it runs so well and cranks so well. Here's another example: I tried one day to start and could not start. Decided to wait for the wife to come home and crank it while I held a plug wire to see if there was a spark. As soon as she turned it over it cranked right up after me trying all afternoon to get it started. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Rodeohog

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Cranking problem 225 evinrude

What year or model number is your motor?

Can you describe your starting procedure, step-by-step?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

And 3rd-ly, what spark plugs are you using?

bmack4life

Seaman Apprentice

is this a e-tec? if so have you changed your own plugs?? the gap has to be in line with the fuel injectors when installed, this can cause that problem, also it has a fuel priming pump, try leaving the key on for about 30 sec before starting. (if this is an etec)

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

E-Tec's will start just fine WITHOUT the plugs being indexed. Also, it is unnecessary to wait at all to start an E-Tec. I have two, and they ALWAYS start instantly without any waiting. If he has an E-Tec, something is really big time wrong.

bmack4life

Seaman Apprentice

this is very true, depending on the hours.. i have a pair of 115 etec's and i have 700 hours on each, the first time i changed the plugs i had no clue about the index issue (and they ran fine), and i also had no problems with "waiting to start with the key on" (just prime the bulbs!!) but i have recently had your problem. i use these engines on a government contract so warranty doesn't apply for me, plus they are 07's and i have 700 hours! i run em!! very true about these items not being an issue, BUT if it has been a ongoing issue and you have long hours, your computer has given up on your engine and will not show up on the dyno (lap top) i keep running it on the computer to see why they do that, but i have no codes and nothing running bad, but i keep getting problems with the number 3 cyl on both engines doing a static test, but they are running fine (i do randomly have a rpm rundown out of no where) i have a appt with a etec rep, i'll let everyone know how it goes! as for the original message, do you even have etecs?? haha if not, oh well, wilde1j.. these engines are an electrical computer nightmare after a certain amount of hours!!! trust me! no pun intended, these motors (for lack of better terms) **** me off!)

rodeohog

Cadet

I am sorry I did not specify the details. It is a 225 Evinrude 2000 model, with Ficht injection. I got stranded on the lake last weekend and that was enough for me, so it is now in the shop for repairs. My little squirting trick finally failed. Had to be towed back in. Starting procedure is that I pump up the bulb and turn it over with no cylinder hitting whatsoever. If I take a plug out it is dry, no fuel on it at all. I will spray some starting fuel into the cylinder and when I turn it over it will pop. Continuing, it usually either starts or after another shot of fluid it will then start and continue to start and run all day. At least until last weekend. So that is where it stands. But there are other variables. When I bought the boat (used) last May the emm had been sent out to have the computer updated they said. It came back and ran great for about three months before all of this started. I called where I bought it and inquired if they sent it off because of a starting problem or just an update. He said best he could recall it was just an update, but I don't know if that is true or not. Plugs are new, were aligned right but after taking them in and out may not be, but surely this wouldn't prevent the engine from even hitting on a cylinder or two. It is like I am priming it to start it. I will post back here when it is fixed and let you know the outcome.

Steve

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

bmack4life, you shouldn't need to ever prime E-Tecs after initial very first start after being installed. No fast idle or choking either. Just start and run. Not sure about Ficht's though, never run one. I have almost 100 hours on mine w/o a hiccup and have friends who have over 1000 hours with almost nothing other than routine 300 hour services done.

rodeohog

Cadet

I thought I'd follow up on my own post to give you guys the final answer to my problem. First of all, this is a 225 Ficht engine. Start sometimes, not start sometimes. I finally took it back to the place where I bought it, 72 Marine in GA., and they fixed it. All they did was replace the battery. It seems this engine's onboard computer requires the right amount of amperage to run the computer even under the load of starting. Cranks right up now. To give credit to this dealer, I will say that a lot of places could have taken me to the bank with trouble shooting and false fix-its and handed me a huge bill. But these guys billed me $150 including the cost of a new battery. That's a trust that made me a return customer and recommender. Runs great now.

Rodeohog