100 hp 4-stroke rectifier/regulator

Susan Garcia

Cadet
The 30 amp fuse blew while underway. After removing the component cover, I replaced the fuse, started the engine and noted that smoke was coming from the rectifier/regulator. I turned the engine off and disconnected the battery. I removed the rectifier/regulator and notice that it was "cooked". I ordered a new one from the States (I live in Bocas Del Toro, Panama, S.A. and there is very little tech support or parts available here) plus a new stator coil and CDI unit. In the mean time I was able to borrow a used rectifer/regulator which I installed. I started the engine and did the voltage output test which was 14.84 @ 1500 rpm and the same at 3500 rpm. I also notice the the cooling fins on the rectifier were very hot (can't touch). Is the voltage readings I got and hot rectifier normal? Also, where can I order the Yamaha test harnesses on-line that are referenced in the Yamaha outboard shop manual?

Susan Garcia

Cadet
Re: 100 hp 4-stroke rectifier/regulator

Dear Rodbolt: Would you please be so kind as to send me an EMAIL to my regular EMAIL ADDRESS, as I find this board difficult to navigate and prefer to communicate using regular email. Please tell me your email address when you send the email (in case there is a problem with your "from" header).

Thank you.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

ok
I understand the navigation issue.
however I dont check email often.
I copied yours now I suggest editing your post to remove your email to keep it from being pfished.

alex3great

Recruit

Hi,
Iam experienceing the same problem, my tach stopped working and the motor would not idle, only run at higher rpm, I noticed smoke coming from the voltage regulator/rectifier and pulled it off to find it has melted the insulation on some of the wires and the back is melted. What caused this to get so hot? I going to order another rectifier/regulator but is this my only problem? Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.......Thanks.;