Need some input on compact cars

MikDee

Banned
Re: Need some input on compact cars

Take this for what it's worth, I bought a 2002' Hyundai Santa Fe LX 2.7 V6 Auto 4WD New, near the end of the model yr, Had it for 3 1/2yrs, Put 87K miles on it without a lick of trouble, got 20-24mpg around town, 24-30mpg Highway, and loved it enough to trade up for a New 2005' Hyundai Tuscon LX 2.7V6 Auto AWD, I presently have 60k on it, not a bit of trouble yet, and love it also, But because it has a built in Electronic Stabilization Program (switchable, but on by default) and AWD, instead of 4WD, it is a bit thirstier. It only gets 25mpg Max on the highway, but averages 20-22mpg around town, it does though have great traction in any weather. The Santa Fe is built on the Sonata Chassis, and the Tucson is built on the Elantra Chassis.This is just a testament to Hyundai, I wouldn't hesitate to get an Elantra, or Tiburon sports car, if the price was right used.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

I bought a Dodge Neon at an auto auction for just over$3k. It had 34k miles on it.
I drove 200 to 250 miles a day for my job, put about 100k miles on it and it got 34 mpg no matter how I drove it.
Had one main seal go ($500) but that was it.
Lost the job so I sold it for $1,500.
I would do it again in the same circumstances.

MikDee

Banned

I have a 98' Dodge Neon Sport 2dr loaded I bought new, it now has 80k miles on it, & needs a head gasket (common on these cars) But, I've been verey happy with it all around! The only thing I didn't like is, It's not a hatchback, they never made one, I wish it was.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

See if you can find the Consumer Reports annual auto edition at the library.Or the Consumer Reports buying guide.
New and used Auto ratings are based on user reports combined with consumer union driving reports covering lots of use not a couple of days
testing.
Even has reccomended used cars and cars to avoid.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Thanks for the great input. She is happy now that she has a bigger model range than before. I've got her looking and being patient about it. She was in the mood of getting the first thing that came along. Thanks again, I'm sure your help will be used in her decession.......SS

aspeck

Staff member

How old is your daughter, and what is her driving experience? I would consider this first. I know my oldest daughter is 24, but has a terrible driving record. If she would come to me for advice I would put her in something safe - more important than fuel mileage! However, she does not come to me for advice, and just bought a 95 Honda Accord with 145K miles for $2700! Her boyfriend likes Hondas ...

You can get a decent midsized with a good crash rating that gets better than average fuel economy for less money ... just a thought.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

She is 26 now and only in 10 years of driving she has had 1 violation. (rolling stop). She learned and got her license in a 94 Accord. The only thing she had ever done to damage her car was she was backing out of the drive and hit the front left side against the pole for the basketball pole. Other than that she had done well. She doesn't have a need to travel on expressways in this area as they are few. Believe me, if she wasn't a safe trust worthy person, I wouldn't recommend a small car. Her Blazer doesn't get to great of mileage in town with speeds only reaching 35mph max.

Trying to get her to keep the Blazer for the days the roads are snow/ice covered. Hopefully this weekend I can go with her to find her new ride. Thanks again for the concern,,,,it is appreciated :D

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

SS, serious look at Subarus.
Stay away from the double overhead cam engines, they are a nightmare.
The 2.2L engine is bullett proof.
Same goes for the 2.5L single overhead cam engine.
Manual or automatic, the AWD is best out there bar none.

MikDee

Banned

SS, serious look at Subarus.
Stay away from the double overhead cam engines, they are a nightmare.
The 2.2L engine is bullett proof.
Same goes for the 2.5L single overhead cam engine.
Manual or automatic, the AWD is best out there bar none.

Yes, I agree if you're looking to keep the 4WD! but, I've also heard they're not quite as economical because of that.

SpinnerBait_Nut

I have 3, 2 wagons and a LSI sedan and they will get 20 to 21 in town on a regular basis. And that is stop and go on a motor route.
All of them 2.2L.
Don't know what they will get on the highway.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Lonny has a 94 (or therabouts?) Legacy wagon. No rust, clean leather interior, lots of bells/whistles, new tires,,,,,but it has a coolant leak that nobody has been able to find. Compression tests, CO tests, pressure tests (which leak down but can't find) exhaust analysis, and large amounts of stop leak. The system has been checically flushed to purge the stop leak material. It got where the heater core was getting plugged. Not sure what size motor it has. Maybe Spinner has a clue on what it could be. If it is simple, this car can be mine for $800. BTW only 82,000 miles on it. This problem started when it had about 80K on it. This car hasn't been driven much for the last 6 years and he keeps it in his barn.

Daughter isn't too keen on Subaru, but I think she whould like this one if she just even sat in it. If it wasn't for dock fees, I would get it for the Mrs :D (or a winter project next year)

SpinnerBait_Nut

That would be a 2.2L engine in a '94.
Let me check my repair archives.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Couple questions SS.
Can you be a little more specific about the leak? Can you see the fluid like say on the ground in a puddle or is it just gone? If it's vanishing mysteriously I'd suspect a head gasket leak regardless of the compression and leak down testing. Sometimes the leaking happens under a particular set of conditions while running. Load, temperature and pressure of the motor that aren't happening when you do your tests.
See if you can find out.
BTW, you got a PM.