Dumb question: How do I tell the difference

hankll

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm trying to get a handle on what the difference in Flipping rods, bait casting rod, spin cast rod, etc.? I mean, when I'm reading my favorite fishing magazine and they describe what the Pro fisherman is using, I'm like clueless. Most of my gear is open face 6' med lite action rod. And then on top of that they are talking about jerk baits, swim baits, Carolina rig, Texas rig, Crazy rig, and other descriptions of bait that I'm not at all sure what they are talking about much less describing how to rig them on your line.

Is there a magazine or book about all this that an "Old newby" can get somewhere, that will help me catch up on all this stuff. What ever happened to minnows and worms on a hook with some split shot?

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Dumb question: How do I tell the difference

Check out this link.

http://www.bassresource.com/fish/tipsindex.html

You need different weight rods for the type of lure you're using. e.g., I use a stiff, heavy weight rod for worming and jigs. It helps to horse them bass out of brush and weeds and I use bait cast rods for lures, crank baits, spinner boats, etc. But, to me, it's all personal on what makes you comfortable. I can't use a heavy rod all day because my arms and shoulders will start to get sore after awhile.

FLATHEAD

Commander

Maybe I can help you a little. A bait casting rod is used with a baitcasting reel. They have a trigger on the reel seat and the guides closest to the handle are much smaller than on a spinning rod.
s7_120463_imageset_01

Spincast are closed faced spinning type reels.

p013026ii02.jpg

A flippin stick is a long stiff baitcasting rod usually 7 foot or better. Many of these are extendable so as to fit in a rod locker. They are used to "Flip" a bait into cover. The long length gives you more range on the flip. The stiffness will help horse the fish out of heavy cover.

A medium action rod is a good for crankbaits and spinnerbaits and most lures you crank in relatively fast.. Giving the rod a bit of flex when the fish inhales the bait. The flex keeps the bait from pulling out of the fishes mouth.

A medium heavy rod is ideal for fishing jigs, rubber worms, and most finesse baits that you fish slow and methodical.. The stiffness helps get a solid hookset on those light hits. I prefer braided line here.

Jerkbaits are plastic minnow type lures that suspend when you stop reeling. Normally they are cranked down to the advertised depth and then retrieved with a jerk and pause action.

Here is a pretty basic plastic worm article.
http://www.askscottgaines.com/basic-techniques-for-fishing-the-plastic-worm/1/

Good luck and tightlines.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Good info from FLATHEAD.

But, trust me, HankII. The fish can't tell the difference either.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Flathead, what about open spinning reels? I always thought that closed reel was a bait casting reel.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Flathead, what about open spinning reels? I always thought that closed reel was a bait casting reel.
Nope, Zebco 33 and the like are spincast reels.
Your bail type reels are the spinning reels.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Just another note, the way the line comes of the spincast reel is what makes it a spincast instead of a bait casting reel.
Comes off the spool like a spinning reel, but has the thumb button for casting, hence, spincast.

hankll

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys, Hey and not one crack about being dumb! Yea, Those links look good. I'm gonna check 'em out, in detail. I had been out of fishing for quite awhile but I finally married the right gal, we bought and fixed up a great 19'6" Procraft, so we have a great platform to get our lines wet. I read magazines all the time trying to bone up on how the fishing techniques are for the various fishing we are trying to do. I watch all the fishing TV shows and get aggravated when they don't really tell you always why they are doing certain things (except for Bill Dance). Trouble is my wife is content to fish the minnows and bobber routine. I'm trying to cast lures and learn the structure of our lake. So far, I wouldn't plan on joining in on a tournament but other than a few lost lures it hasn't been too disappointing. Thanks again....

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Well it's pretty hard to crack on you when I've been fishing my whole life and I don't know either. :)

I suppose I could give you this wisecrack... you're as dumb as I am! :D

SgtMaj

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

DO fish some tournaments. You will learn more new stuff that way than any other way I can think of.
Conservative at 1st is the key though.
Join a small local club that fishes a tournament per month. One that has more emphasis on comradery than entry fees and winning.
Look for one that partners up boaters and non boaters that has a very low entry fee ($25 or less per tournament). You can start by going as a non-boater and learn more about a lake, techniques, gear, etc in two outings... than you could fishing by yourself for a year.
You might also check around and see if there are any tournament strictly for couples (if your better half likes to fish). These are competitive, but, you'll have just as much fun with the people as you will fishing. (these are as much of an "event" as they are a "tournament".

DON'T dive in head first fishing $100+ entry fee tournaments. That's a real good way to get discouraged before you even get started.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

I watch all the fishing TV shows and get aggravated when they don't really tell you always why they are doing certain things (except for Bill Dance)..

Don't believe everything you see or hear on them fishin' shows. In order for the TV show to be successful, the pros fish private ponds that aren't fished out or the fish in there are so hungry they'll hit anything. Fact of the matter is, the pros have a hard time catching fish in public lakes as we do.

hankll

Petty Officer 1st Class

I always had a feeling the fishing pros were editing out the slow times and only showing the good bites/catching clips. But I was watching one show where they were catching Crappie on Lime green 1/16 ounce jigs and Pink soft plastic tubes on 10' water under a tree overhang, catching them as fast as they could so my guess was it was all live action at that point. I know it got my blood boiling to get my crappie gear ready to go. They were on a lake in Ontario, and were catching some really nice slabs of at least 1 - 2 lb. But they kept throwing them back, not one was kept for the frying pan.

StarznBarrz

Seaman Apprentice

Not one for the Pan? I cant set off on a trip and come back empty handed, its not in me!

heycods

Captain

Just thought I would throw this in. As you are in the learning mode. Thier are other fish besides Bass! even if they dont get an honorable mention in the mags.

hankll

Petty Officer 1st Class

You mean besides Bass and Crappie I should be looking at other fish to catch, too? Gee, I mostly catch rubber boots or broken tree limbs, or inder sized fish, and my best catch last year was a big old Carp. So, I thoght I'd try an bone up this year and try for some real live fishing and maybe land some LM or Smallies, but Crappie will be hitting beds in a few weeks, so I'm gonna go for them first.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Don't believe everything you see or hear on them fishin' shows. In order for the TV show to be successful, the pros fish private ponds that aren't fished out or the fish in there are so hungry they'll hit anything. Fact of the matter is, the pros have a hard time catching fish in public lakes as we do.

Many of those fishing shows if you listen closely will tell you things like.

"We've fished all day without a single bite and now it's getting dark and times running out....COME ON FISH BITE" ...Wammo Got ONE! wammo another one!!
or
" We fished for five hours and made 378 casts without a single Bite" Wammo, Wammo.
or
" We fished this lake for three days and finally found out where the fish are" Bang, Bang, Bang.

So don't get discouraged. Fish until your bored or tired and quit or move to a new location. They say in a Lake that 10% of the lake contains 90% of the fish. It takes years and a lot of hours of fishing to learn a lake and where to fish. Once you find them, then you can try some new spots knowing full well you can go back and catch fish at the old one if you don't find them at the new spot.

Time, Weather, Bait, Wind all play an important role in whether you catch fish or not. Another thing ride the lake at different times and watch where other boats are fishing. Morning and night. Make a log book with time of day and weather conditions and Location so you can go back to those spots and try
another day.

If and when you do catch fish log it in the book with the pertinent Information, Time, Weather, Bait, Wind type of bait, depth and color. Pick a three point reference to shore. White leaning Birch Tree, a cabin with yard ornament about 50 yards off shore. Write it down so you can go back to nearly the same site. Of course now if you have a GPS system log it in and it will put you exactly in the same spot.